Existing Member?

Coffee Towns

Not in the guide book

USA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [72] | Scholarship Entry

Out on the East Coast of America there lays a town called Boone, surrounded by the Appalachian Mountains. (Be careful how you pronounce that, it will set you apart from the locals in seconds)

It was my home for nine months.

I visited New York in that time but I found no difference in the feeling of standing in Time’s Square thinking “I’m here, I’m in NY!” and standing in the famers market back in NC thinking “I’m here, were not a lot people get to be.”

The farmer’s market felt like a reward for getting involved in the local community, in with the Frisbee league and letting myself be embraced by host families whose religious and political views were kept off the table. The autumn had seen the market covered in crumbled leaves and the smoke from cornels being roasted. The market did have an expiry date as winter was on its way. Snow would see the area impenetrable. I knew that three quarters of the study abroad students had never heard of the market or would not have dared venture up into the hills. They talked about their travels in New York and Washington, the places they would visit next. But standing there, with a cup of bald guy brew coffee (highly recommended) I felt like the luckier one. This was travelling. This was not sight seeing. I recognized people, was hugged and asked repeatedly ‘are you looking forward to seeing your mum at Christmas?’ Yes I was, because I could tell her about this magical place. The trees seemed to hold onto their leaves for a few more weeks, so to shelter us from the extremes that were to follow. Every time you looked up and around all you could see was the mountain range. The Tweetsie railroad would be gearing up for the Halloween special. You really get a sense that this community is subject to the demands of the weather. But you wont catch anyone complaining. Just buying bigger cars and stronger walking boats. There is a ski lodge, a number of outdoor shops and a coffee industry that survives partly because of the snow. (And the students, but I’ll ignore them for the time being)

If you ever find yourself in Charlotte or Raleigh airports, spare a thought for the communities that do not exist in the guidebooks. Take the exit off towards Blowing Rock and over the Mountains. Your ears will pop but waiting on the other side is the Land of Oz (theme park), some excellent coffee at a bakery called Stickboy and true Southern hospitality.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About katherinebellinger


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.