Existing Member?

Learning to spell like Lawrence

Matt - A word on testicles

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA | Monday, 21 October 2013 | Views [1818] | Comments [3]

The other day, while having a coffee with a couple of Slovenians we had just met in a little cafe on Korčula, Croatia, a slightly mad-looking quite-old woman sat down on the table near us and ordered an espresso.

After sipping for a second, she wandered over to our table, said something to me in Serbo-Croat, and gave my bare knee a rub. One of our new Slovenian friends kindly interpreted what she had said: 'she says you have nice legs.' At this, she laughed a bit, and said something else, rubbing more and more vigorously, and higher and higher, until she glanced one of my testicles. At this point, I grabbed her hand, said 'thank you,' and off she tottered. Much mirth was had by all.

This caused me to wonder, why had I waited so long before grabbing her hand in a firm but polite rebuff? I can assure you, dear reader, that I was not desirous of having my testicle make anyone's acquaintance in such a fashion. I am sure that there is some interesting psychology at play here, but as best as I can figure out:

1. I am in a new country, and am not always sure of the greeting customs, and am therefore prepared to let things go a bit further than I ordinarily would in Aus. For the same reason, I leaned in for a cheek kiss from a gentleman in Montenegro a week ago having seen others do the same in Bosnia. However, I believe I may have misread the situation, as I had to do a sharp veer at the last moment, and pretend I had stumbled.

2. I did not expect that a kindly leg rub would migrate upwards in such a fashion from such a lady. I was taken by surprise in other words.

3. I was applying gender stereotypes... women do not usually manhandle men, men usually manhandle women. I was therefore not expecting to have my men handled at all.

4. We had just weathered a storm of epic proportions, the sun was coming out, I had had half a beer, and I was therefore feeling relaxed. Not that relaxed though.

If anyone can provide and further explanations, I would be most grateful.

 

 

Comments

1

Matt - I'd guess mental illness (her, not you!). Great writing, I'm glad to hear you are both still enjoying yourselves...

  Andy SS Oct 25, 2013 9:32 AM

2

Please tell me someone was taking a video, not only of you but of Kate rolling around on the floor clutching her stomach.

  Di Irons Oct 28, 2013 8:28 AM

3

Never a dull moment in your life,Matt! Maybe you thought Christmas had come early?!! Keep enjoying the adventures x

  Trish Irons Nov 9, 2013 2:40 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bosnia & Herzegovina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.