Existing Member?

Learning to spell like Lawrence

Matt - A Close Shave

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 14 August 2013 | Views [301]

Sweeney Todd

I had my first haricut and shave of the trip so far, and it was quite an experience.

My moustahce was beginning to tickle my eyebrows when the wind blew, so a visit to Sweeney Todd's in the highlands was in order (please see photos).

The shop was called 'Sweeney Todd's' and was themed with fake blood, a life-size Sweeney Todd doll, and, bizarley, a lifesize doll of a hybrid between Freddy Kreuger and Leatherface. Freddy Face, if you will. Even more bizare was that Al Pacino's 'Scarface' featured quite heavily in the decorating. Turns out that the owner/barber has trademarked both 'Scarface' and 'Sweeney Todd's' as the name of his barber shop, and had gone with Sweeney Todd. But that hadn't stopped him from carefulkly blending in the Sarface decoration... a true interior design genious if ever I saw one.

The haircut started off even more strangely when I was pranked... a bag was placed over my hair, and then over my face and the air sucked out with a hairdryer on reverse. Cue much mirth from everybody. Well, from the owner/barber (I'll call him Duncan Campbell, as everyone seems to be called up here) at any rate.

Then, he got into my face with his cut-throat razor. Happily, he was gentle as a lamby, in between making excrutiatingly dirty jokes. He used a little flaming candle to burn off my excess ear hair (didn't even realise I had any) meanwhile askinig another customer the classic dirty gag 'how did you like your eggs in thye morning? fertilised or unfertilised?' Only problem was, that the other customer was a 65 year old man, and therefore most likely lacking eggs of his own. Cue much mirth from everybody.  Well, from the owner/barber.

But I survived, and I was clean-shaven for the first time in several years. For photographic evidence, please see attached photos. I am currently working on rectifying this situation.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.