Existing Member?

Incredible India

Desert Oasis

INDIA | Thursday, 2 May 2013 | Views [180]

It has been roughly five months since I arrived home. Many experiences and memories remain with me - even all these months later. It goes without saying that India struck an undeniable chord with me, it changed the way I see things and the way I place value on living each day to a standard that you are proud of. That is why travel is one of my greatest loves and why I booked to go back to India within a week of my homecoming. India is one of those places that frustrates you, challenges you, unbelievably destroys you, yet picks you right back up again when you least expect it. It is incredible.

 

One particular experience from my month in Rajasthan that has stuck with me is a night spent on a thin mattress in the middle of the Thar Desert, with nothing but one ratty blanket, camels, and my amazing tour group members. After 4 hours being led on camel to our camp, we were met with a beautiful thali - that quintessential North Indian meal that becomes one of the many things you miss. Following dinner, we were rewarded with a campfire and stories about Indian religions and customes from our tour leader who became a firm and fascinating friend. Sitting out there, amidst the bright stars and one of the most stark environments I have existed in, it was easy to see why Rajasthan is such a popular region. Where else could you ride a camel in the afternoon, and be back in the hustle and bustle of the stunning Jaisalmer by morning?

 

North India certainly spoke to me on many different levels. Come this December, South India will have a lot to live up to.

About katelynf


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.