Existing Member?

Travels in Nepal

Back in Kathmandu

NEPAL | Tuesday, 21 November 2017 | Views [694]

Mt Everest

Mt Everest

Yesterday our Habitat team returned to Kathmandu from Nuwakot. I was thinking about the transformation in our group from our initial bus ride to Nuwakot to yesterday's ride back to Kathmandu. Although we've only known each other for a short time, a strong bond had formed among us. We seemed like old friends by the end of the build.

How to explain such a rapid connection among people who were strangers less than 2 weeks before? On the surface we are a very diverse group - different ages, educational levels, professions, countries of origin... But the common thread that connected our narratives was altruism. We all made a commitment to put aside our personall needs for the sake of a greater good. This was the cohesive element. 

Last night we had our final dinner as a team. We were joined by staff from Nepal's Habitat program, including their national director. It was an opportunity to celebrate work done, friendships made, and to commit to continued engagement in altruistic activities, both large and small...  Habitat Nepal is complete, but I'm already considering future Habitat options and welcome any/all comers. It's a life changer 😊 There's a trip to Bolivia in October 2018 that I'm looking at if anyone is interested.

 In other news, today I took a flight over the Himilayas with some folks from my Habitat team. The pi!ot even let us into the cockpit to see the mountains from that perspective. Seemed a bit crazy, but the pilot  just warned me to be careful of all the switches/buttons on ceiling of the cockpit 😨... Also toured Durbar Square in Kathmandu, which has historical significance for Nepal with ancient temples and palaces. Sadly, this area was badly damaged by the 2015 earthquake, so still undergoing restoration. I've included pictures in the gallery from these trips.

Tomorrow is my last leg of my Nepal trip. I'm flying from Kathmandu to Pokhara, then will have a ride up to a lodge in the mountains for some R&R before heading home.  Looking forward to home and reconnecting with friends and family!!

Hope all are well! 

Kate

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.