Existing Member?

Into Africa... Travel is a human experience like no other. It takes you far beyond the limits of borders and deep into the unknown. We all travel on our own journeys through life, in search of ultimately - ourselves. It is what makes me feel alive, therefore I travel.

Learning to hold on to things - and also let go.

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 17 September 2008 | Views [268] | Comments [3]

I have been in Tanzania for a little over a week now and have seen and learned a lot already. I have been hesitant to write anything yet, partly because I don't know where to start. I have met so many interesting people and learned about so many organizations working in Tanzania.

The first week I spent in Arusha, Tanzania. Arusha is a very busy town with all the traditional Tanzanian markets but also a modern grocery store and movie theatre. Most of the OHS volunteers come into town on the weekends so that they can get a hot shower and a Fanta. The site where OHS is building our center is about 20 miles outside of Arusha in a small village, next to a small town called Kisongo. I will start living out on site in next week. Until then, I am taking a hot shower every day:)

In the first week here, it was difficult to adjust to everything and I didn't know it I was going to like Africa. But with time I am learning a little Swahili and how to get around, and Tanzania is starting to grow on me. It has been an interesting experience learning how to let go of my cultural norms that I carry and adadpt to the new ones I must learn in order to survive here.

Manners are a very different communication here - greetings are always an essential beginning to a conversation, even if it is the waitress at a restaurant. It is considered rude to not take a moment and ask the gentlemen selling sodas on the corner how his day is before asking him to buy one - and in L.A. you're lucky if you can even get a smile, let alone a hello from someone on the street. On the other hand, running into someone here on the street requires no apologie and standing in line in most places doesn't mean you are next. "Shikamo" is always said as the first thing to anyone who is older than you and the response is always "marahaba". Food is always taken when offered and only eaten with the right hand.

I have also learned that - as usual - I need to learn to hold on to things better. The day before yesterday I got on a bus to come to Musoma to visit a friend and when getting off the bus in Mwanza to transfer I realized I had left my bag in the boot of the bus. I ended up spending a night in Mwanza and got my bag back the next day, but with much frustration and shame. Today, I safely - and with all bags in hand - arrived in Musoma. I am staying with a friend of a friend from L.A and he will show me around Lake Victoria and take me into the Serengeti this week.

Musoma is a little town on the lake and is quaint and peaceful. I will write more in the next few days of my travel around Musoma and then will return to Arusha next week to start with OHS. Until then, I hope to learn a few more new things - and perhaps some old lessons again.

Comments

1

Hi wonderful girl! I can't tell you how proud I am of you and how fascinated I am to hear of your trip! please add me to your list of friends who want to keep up with your blog. I'll put your blog in favorites, too.
I loved your story of the "lost bag." How great you got in back in tact. Don't know if that would have happened here.
I'll wait for your next one.
Be well, travel safely, and take in the wonders you will see!
Much love, Judy

  Judy Mellberg Sep 19, 2008 10:09 AM

2

Hi Sweetie!
It's great to hear you are doing so well! Grandma and Grandpa say hi and we all are very proud of you! Are you anywhere near Kilamanjaro? I am sad that I don't know enough about your part of the world, but you make it sound very exciting! Keep us informed. We all wait to hear if you have sent anything. Hope your work is what you hoped. Please be careful, but have fun too! Love you E!
Aunt Karen

  Karen Lyness Oct 5, 2008 10:25 AM

3

Well, I finally found this after a lkttle searching. Just have to forgive an old man. I've printed out this much for Grandma to read, since she won't get wthing more than three feet of the computer. At yuur Dad's suggestion, I'm getting ready to hook up a web cam, and try to learn Skype, so we can communicate that way. My first call is free, so it will probably be to you. But first, I have to figure the time difference, so we don't get you up in the middle of the night.

Have fun, stay well, and learn much.

We love you.

Grandpa, Grandma and Aunt Karen

  John Lyness Oct 15, 2008 2:16 AM

About kate_lyness


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.