Existing Member?

The Freezing Redwoods : Kasol

Something out of time.

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

There were my initials, carved onto one of the biggest and tallest trees I've ever seen. I holstered my knife standing among these huge redwood trees, gazing upon the mountain nearby, and breathed a sigh of happiness and achievement. I was making memories. Never seeing snow ever before in my life, determined to take it all by myself to fulfill that dream. I began my journey all alone that morning in the train when I realized how cold the weather could get despite of having so many things to keep you warm. I was certain of what was coming ahead. Travelling through 4 states, There I was sitting in the middle of the bus that was barely filled, headed to a place I had always dreamt of without any sight of what was I travelling through as it was all dark by then. I look at my watch and it says "18:15" and I think to myself "Well, It's pretty early for the sun to set." I was afraid. Asking the conductor how long would it take again and again until he understood my fear and said "Keep calm. Enjoy the music." I was afraid. I got down at 2100 hours on a suspension bridge with the sounds of the river flowing fast and pretty much everything was closed, most of the lights were out. Everything went fine and the night was over. I woke up to the sound of the river and the sight of something white drizzling over with the mountain nearby with the sun light breaching the boundary, I go out to the balcony and there I see, Snow. For the first time ever, I reach out my hand and feel the snow while looking at the place I had come to. It was bliss. The big mountains covered with trees, rocks beside the rivulet and all around, everything was coated in thick white snow. Lush redwoods all around, rivulet flowing by, snowfall. I get my gear ready to click the beauty around and start off wandering into the village and then start to explore the forests around without knowing where the path would lead to or what was coming ahead. I was lost in nature. Regardless of time and all the things my mind had. I was lost, and I felt good. I spent the rest of the day wandering through the woods until I came across a road where I hitchhiked back to the village and met some amazing people around a campfire and trekked the trails for the next few days with them. Every time I saw snow. I felt new. I felt like I was discovering a whole new world all together to live and explore. I felt it gather upon me for the last time before I boarded the bus back home. Leaving to live a new life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kasineni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.