Existing Member?

Zebra En Route

Fear of sweet, mastika taste!

GREECE | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [1168] | Scholarship Entry

Imagine a house from the tale about Little Red Cap... Would you like to come inside? If the mysterious death of her grandmother eaten by a wolf will not discourage you from discovering the secrets hidden in the forest hut?
We are standing on the empty road Pirgi-Chios, wondering how to get back to the hostel before dusk. Suddenly a black roadster pops up around the bend and passes us with a fairly high speed, than screeching brakes and slowly goes back in our way.

Middle-aged couple, do not speak English, but when they hear the slogan "Chios" they are smiling, inviting us into the car and ... going in the opposite direction. For a moment we want to open the door and jump out, but the steep slope, sharp turns and Greek music on the radio make us to stay and see what will happen.

We are going fast main road, then narrow path passing the groves of olives and mastika - tree which produces resins with a unique flavor. Here we get a little nervous. Couple looks calm, trusted people, but in our heads already draw the images about hidden in the bushes house of torture. In next few minutes car stops in front of a rusty gate from where we can see overgrown garden and roof of a small hut. So though! This is the end, no one will never find us here!

We get out of the car and find ourselves directly in... the tale of Little Red Riding Hood. Just outside the gate, we can see a small, almost miniature house with tiny windows and door. He is opening the door with large, copper key and we are inside.

We see a brick fireplace, where he start to making fire, a small kitchen, where she's boiling water for tea, on the table are drying figs and resin of mastika, multi-colored bedspread on the couch looks like from dollhouse. Before we will warm up by the fireplace she shows us the bedroom, where stands a wooden bed covered with white linen, children's room with small beds and a toilet, where the big attraction is huge mirror with a frame made from shells.

Colorful pillows, hand-painted door, crochet doilies and pictures everywhere… The walls, shelves and fireplace are covered with different size frames. On the photos we can see children of different ages, in different situations. Here they are sitting in the garden, there some girl receive a diploma, on the next one kids are laughing during play with the dog.

We are sitting in front of the fireplace with green cups with hand-painted olive branches and drinking a hot, sweet infusion of herbs.

We fall asleep...

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kasiakowalska


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.