Existing Member?

tourist city - Mucugê

Mucugê, history through the years

BRAZIL | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [354] | Comments [1]

When the sourdough Cazuza do Prado found out diamond deposit next to the Mucugê river in 1844, it was the beginning of that city we had visited.

This fact had transformed to a “crazy running” that runs to the biggest diamond cycle of Bahia.

The first name was Vila Santa Izabel do Paraguaçu. The city progressed up to 1870 with the ground’s wealth. Things have turned to bad when South Africa started to collect diamonds too, then the only economic way of that great town got down.

In the period of exploration, too much people of different countries, especially from Europe came to get some hope of be rich.

With this rich material formed by millions of years ago we can do a lot of stuff. Some very important constructions in Europe have the Mucugê diamond. This thing had pushed up the England Industrial Revolution.

The decadence of the cycle left the economic down. The solution was the agriculture. The new way of plantation of that region keep on the city wealth.

The architecture of Mucugê is from XIX century. A thing that calls our attention is the Byzantine cemetery, the only one of Latin America.

Now one of the most ways of people get money there is the tourism. The bio-tourism is represented by the Parque Nacional da Chapada Diamantina. There, the local nature is protected and teaches to the outsider people,  especially the Sempre Viva project, that protects and present to us knowledge about that plant and the city forest. Maintainable development is teaching by some workers of those projects.

The local culture is very rich too. They have, for example, the 23 de Decembro Filantrofica Band and others manifestations. The festa junina represents the biggest culture expression of Mucugê.

Comments

1

great adventures buddy!

  Bio Tourist = BioTourism Dec 10, 2008 3:06 PM

About karolejanaina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.