Existing Member?

My Graffiti Mecca

5Pointz

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [83] | Scholarship Entry

Queens, New York.
5Pointz.
The search was real for this “graffiti Mecca,” where visionaries from around the globe painted colorful pieces on the walls of this 200,000-square-foot factory building. Getting lost on the subways between the 7, L, G, and E trains were enough to confuse even the most experienced wanderer. In between asking the subway employees and changing from platform to platform, I exited the 21st St. stop off the G and walked up the block to the corner of Crane and Jackson.
Under the train track intersections peered 5Pointz. The yellow backdrop of the building enhanced everything under the spring time sun. From the tips of the corners to the roof tops were stories upon stories displayed on the walls.
From a distance, I was lost in all the vibrant hues, shapes and characters of reds, pinks, blues and nearly every shade from the color wheel. My eyes traveled from each piece to the next blow up as if I was still listening closely to all the artists’ spray cans decorating this desolate structure.
Inhaling the cool afternoon air, I walked up to the wall and placed my palm upon the stylistic, east coast letters of Meres One.
The paint underneath felt fresh, determined not to peel nor crack despite the fact it was put there more than ten years ago. I felt the warmth on my palm despite being outside in the chilly breeze. Looking up what felt like the heavens, 5Pointz was alive and well.
This hidden gem signified the five boroughs coming together as one along with bridging artists from all over the globe, solidifying its reputation as an epicenter of the graffiti scene. From everyday folks to the legends of Hip Hop this ‘mecca’ connected people deeply through multiple layers of the color wheel right in the heart of Queens.
Stepping back about thirty feet, I walked along the outer edges of the building to look up at the empty windows and cluttered boards. Seeing nothing but darkness, my imagination ran wild with curiosity. I wondered if all the past inhabitants and workers were as dynamic and lively from the past compared to the wild and colorful exterior.
With another cool breeze to my cheek, I embraced the memorable murals and graffiti blow ups and continued down Jackson St. to the subway station. Swiping the metro card in the machine, I waited on the platform looking out into the distance of that yellow factory building with that colorful soul.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About karlitabonita


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.