Existing Member?

The End Of The World -- Or So It Seemed.

Cabo da Roca, Portugal

PORTUGAL | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [216] | Scholarship Entry

Like most 20-somethings, I woke up one morning and decided I needed to discover the meaning of life. And how does one accomplish such a feat? By backpacking through Europe, of course.

After my first summer of searching high and low in museums and hostels, I had found no answers. So I decided to try again a year later. This time, I would narrow my search to Spain and Portugal!

By week two I had arrived in Portugal’s capital, Lisbon, after having searched extensively through the beaches of Marbella and the Algarve, with no success. Upon arrival in Lisbon, I read about a place called Cabo da Rocca. A not-so-far journey that would take me to Europe’s western-most point. It sounded rather uninteresting, but I wasn’t one for turning down an adventure.

A quick train ride to Sintra and then a bus to Cabo da Roca. Almost an-hour-and-a-half later, the bus neared the stop, and I could feel a change come upon me. A cliff, and a small rest stop was all I could see, but it was enough. It was a beautifully clear August day, with few clouds in the sky. As I neared the edge of the cliff, I suddenly realized it was actually the edge of the world. Or so it must have seemed centuries ago. The vast Atlantic Ocean filled the void for as far as the eye could see. I had never, ever, seen anything quite like it in my short life. It was both a beautiful and frightening sight to behold. Beautiful because it was my first glimpse into how expansive the world truly is. Frightening because it was my first glimpse into how expansive the world truly is.

I was mesmerized. And I couldn’t get enough. I wanted to stay there forever and just watch the birds fly overhead, feel the breeze as the crisp Atlantic Ocean waves hit the cliffs below my feet. Looking down was certainly not an option, but looking ahead couldn’t be avoided.

This was home. And this spot would forever hold a special place in my heart. Some 15 years later, my only regret is not having arrived earlier, stayed longer, or some snacks and a blanket to sit and spend the day enjoying this formidable sight.

I’m not what you would call the romantic type, but this place got me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. It is definitely a place to bring that special someone, something I’ve yet had the chance to do. I can envision the most incredible and romantic proposal taking place here. And I hope, one day, it’s mine.

-Karine-

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About karineben


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.