Existing Member?

The University of Adventure and the Real Life A window to my journey of self and world discovery

Catching a Moment - A coming together like no other

GUATEMALA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [417] | Scholarship Entry

I challenge you to find a more beautiful and exciting Christmas tradition anywhere. What I just observed is unrivaled by any city in any country in the world!
Perched up high above the city lights I witnessed the heavens come to life. When 4 million people simultaneously set off firebombs across the night sky it is a delight for all your senses. The smoky sulfur fills you with joy. The streams of whistles, bangs and every decibel explosions from far and wide rattle you deep in your core. The colours and sparkles spread across the atmosphere eventually mingling with the bright lights from a valley of homes and streets. You feel the tingle of amazement and wonder too know that all the souls in this place are sharing this special moment. Transcending the societal hierarchy, from the mansions high above to the slums deep below, everyone; man, woman and child is experiencing this spectacular display just the same.
Guatemala City has carried on this tradition for many years. The start and culmination of it all is at twelve o’clock on the dot and lasts up to an hour. Eventually the sky fills with the smokes of these blazing sights. As it settles like a fog over the valley you can still see glows of the continued showers of coloured fire being shot up into the sky.
I dare you to try to capture this on film. Its grandeur cannot simply be displayed in a photograph. It is something that must be experienced.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About karinas_extraordinary_life

Riding a water buffalo in the mountains of Kalaw

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.