Existing Member?

Karin & Eise

Three free days and a conference

SINGAPORE | Wednesday, 19 September 2007 | Views [432]

I had a conference for work in Singapore and spent three extra days exploring this city. I expected the city to be similar to Tokyo, from a Westerner's perspective, and in some respects it was. It was clean, crowded, had lots of shops and food was great. On the other hand it was hot, humid, it rained a lot, people pushed themselves into the subway (before letting others out) and everybody spoke English.


Most of my time was spent at Singapore Polytechnic for the conference, but fortnatly I also had time to wander through the city. A true shopping paradise for some, but I soon got fed up with the shops (especially since almost every shop turned out te be a complete mall hosting 60 shops). I loved exploring Chinatown, Little India and other more traditional parts of the city. Together with some fellow conference visitors I went to the Night Safari (which slightly disappointed me after reading lots of enthusiastic stories in LP and on some websites), Sentosa Island (swimming with pink dolphins is great and a very good deal compared to other 'swimming with dolphin' packages), and the bar on the 71st floor of Swissotel (great view).


I guess what I most enjoyed was the food, which was unvariably good and in most places cheap and heaven for vegetarians! Had some great meals in Little India, lots of sushi (which is a treat for Europeans since it is less than half of the price compared to restaurants in Europe) and loved to see and try similar sweet bread roll shops as we've seen in Japan.

Tags: City trip

 

About karin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.