Existing Member?

Piobbico

A Stay in Piobbico

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

I drive alongside cyclists rounding winding roads through fields of sunflowers, hundred year old trees and a small winery tucked away. Outside Hotel Montenerone, students sip lattes taking in the only Internet access in town. I look for the hotel keeper as I realize the last key on the board must be for me. "Just leave your money in the drawer, he's in Florence for the night". That voice would be the only English I will hear while in the friendly town in the Provence of Pesaro e Urbino. The townspeople were asked by the music director not to speak English for the sake of his students who were studying not only opera, but Italian. I was studying neither, but relished the fact that if I put even the smallest amount of effort into speaking Italian everyone was helpful.
At the top of the hill sits the castle. Walking along the centuries old path I couldn't help but take in the smell of bread baking. I followed the sound of the music coming from the tower echoing over roof tops. The cobblestones crumble under foot as I stop to look at every door, each one unique, a first impression of someone's home. As I open the iron gate the music is louder. These talented musicians fit into the culture of Piobbico.
The tree lined streets which house the hotel, cafe, a small grocery, and corner bar are alive long into the night. Residents gather to celebrate summertime and the music as wine flows and tortellini are fresh.
Morning comes quickly as students and vendors drink cappuccino, conversing. I stop to take in the tables of men watching the Tour de France, cheering and bantering.
There are few things the Italians haven't mastered. Riposo is the best part of this seemingly perfect culture. The Italian "siesta", a time to close up shop, meet with friends or rest. Dinner is later, a celebration of family.
I follow the musicians down the cobblestone path listening as they converse with the women sitting outside their homes mending clothes. Not many words are needed as they share the universal language, a smile, an embrace. It doesn't matter what was said. For a moment these students, generations, oceans and cultures apart, exist together through music, food and laughter.
This fairly undiscovered town of Piobbico will stir your senses, take you to your authentic place. All something you can take home with you.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About karenhuckabone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.