Existing Member?

From Gran Canaria to New Zealand We are on our way to New Zealand from the Canary islands. We live here, but are Norwegian. We work here as; he - nurse, she - teacher. karen lived in New Zealand years and years ago, and now we are on our way back - so karen can "show off" this lovely country of her youth.

Trainpass

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 22 July 2007 | Views [587]

We bought a trainpass and took the train from Auckland to Wellington, ferry to Picton, train to Chirstchurch and the Tranzalpine to Greymouth and back to Christchurch. It's a good idea, but it lasts only 7 days, so we had to buy a new ticket when we wanted to go back to Auckland. It is possible to take the bus - there is another pass that goes mainly by coach (bus), but that was not an option for Karen who gets carsick and Erik who uses diuretica and needs to pee more often than the busdriver.

 A good option for those who can take bus is "nakedbus" check that out if you ever get to New Zealand. Very cheap. We used it to Rotorua and back.

O.K. - the train was fine. Such lovely scenery, and very confortable. But - do you know that the train between Auckland and Wellington only goes friday, Saturday and Sunday?  Very strange, don't you think? And it takes 12 hours. Apart from that, a lovely ride. We ordered suites in Backpackers, and it's a good price and your get to sleep alone and have your own bathroom. Price: 70 - 80 NZ$.

We will write more specifically about Christchurch and Wellington in another entry.

   

Tags: Travel Tips

About karen-and-erik

This is us - hello.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.