Existing Member?

From Gran Canaria to New Zealand We are on our way to New Zealand from the Canary islands. We live here, but are Norwegian. We work here as; he - nurse, she - teacher. karen lived in New Zealand years and years ago, and now we are on our way back - so karen can "show off" this lovely country of her youth.

Everyday- things

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 20 July 2007 | Views [475]

Holiday is more than sightseeing. It is also everyday-things like wathing old movies on TV or new movies in old cinemas. We just came out from this cinema I remember from I was a young girl/child in this country. The stars (and moving clouds)and the courtyard and the towers are still there. What a flashback that was! It almost made me cry! I think the cinemas name is Civic. In the middle of Auckland anyway, which has a filmfestival going on just now. 

Talking of starlight: the sky is mighty and the stars are wonderful, but different. Driving along one evening with Meinita, we stopped and by chance looked up to the sky. Wow - "real mighty glowworms!" (We had just seen glowworms in a cave, so that was our logical connection, although maybe not yours.. ) Oh, and did I tell you that the sun sets and rises wrong way round? The moon is also a bit loopsided, but that is something we are used to from Canary Islands.

Other every-day-things: Sitting by a fireplace with a blanket and reading, while the wind is hollowing and the rain is pouring. It's a kind of nice cosy feeling. As Gry says: "It's the kind of weather it's nice to be inside in". That was very directly transelated from norwegian. Anyway - True; some hot chocolate, some nice cake and a good book - it'a OK. See you around my friend. We're soon off to the south island. more cold weather, but we'll see it mostly from a trainwindow and we have bought longjohns and woolies. (That is wool underwear)

Oh - I did forget to tell you of the friendly busdrivers. One stopped and waited for a guy to buy the newspaper and Erik to buy some things in a kiosk today. Everybody says: "Thank you, driver" and people, especially old ladies - want to know where we are from and chatter on in a very friendly way. Makes me feel at home, and I just might have stayed on had circumstances been different.  

Tags: Philosophy of travel

About karen-and-erik

This is us - hello.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.