Existing Member?

History meets Comfort Food

Ben's Chili Bowl

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [117] | Scholarship Entry

A street like so many others – hydrants, cars, a smattering of gnarly stunted trees, grey concrete, people bustling along, traffic noise; then you open the door and step inside.

The smell hits you first. Happiness, comfort, spices, peace and a new and different experience, all wafting through the air, full of promised delight. The history and the sense of going back through time occur next. Walls covered in pictures of various celebrities including Bill Cosby, Denzel Washington and Obama; a chair that Obama sat on; a story of survival.

Ben’s Chili Bowl Washington DC founded in 1958 by Trinidadian migrant Ben Ali, was the ONLY business to remain open through the race riots that tore the city down during the 60s. Looking around the famed restaurant, you can sense why. It’s a knowing, a feeling of being among legions of satisfied customers just looking for a place that reminds them of home, of grandma’s kitchen and happy nights spent with family.

There’s no pressure here. Yes, they’re “The Home of the Famous Chili Half-Smoke”, but there’s no one imposing it on you. It’s a very laid back, come as you are, eat what you want, sort of place. The kind of place that a seeking traveler and seasoned native both, would return to again and again.
Cafeteria style seating makes the experience even better, as groups of nomads can sit together and share belly laughs and travel stories, maybe plan their next steps, or throw stolen fries at each other as you enjoy chili dogs, the famous half-smoke or breakfast.

Ever had a trip to the bathroom that made you stop in your tracks and go “WOW!” as you pushed open the door? Yep, Ben’s Chili Bowl delivers. Have your colored chalk handy and bring your best “I Was Here” artwork, because the blackboard upper walls of the washroom scream out to you to leave your mark. Your companions may even send out an APB for you, as you get lost in trying to read EVERY colorful marking on the walls, forgetting about the urgent errand nature sent you to run.

In a place full of monuments, grey and white structures, facts, figures and memorials, Ben’s Chili Bowl is a sweet spot, a different kind of monument. It’s a living, breathing, deeply touching monument to sacrifice, perseverance, laboring with love, entrepreneurship, craftsmanship, values and community. It stands out from the other historical places and spaces because it is alive! because it is woven into the hearts of its community; because it is a story still being written and told.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About karamel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.