Existing Member?

wondering wandering

heading south

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 1 November 2007 | Views [516] | Comments [1]

wells, i'm finally working my ways down to the ice. lots of logistics, flying time and orienting only to become more disoriented. left oly on the 26th of oct. and have been working my way to antarctica since. i'm currently in new zealand for a couple days and we leave from here on a military plane to mcmurdo station (mac town, where i'll be working my butt off for the next 4ish months)

some cool things so far are the amazing view of the stars and moon from above the clouds high in the sky, which also was my first sighting of the southern hemisphere star patterns including the southern cross!

i've been having major appreciation for the nighttime, as once i'm in antarctica i will have none of it.

and then there was the amazing dream i had last nite involving a group of kangaroos jaunting across a beautiful landscape...haven't seen any roos in my waking moments, yet, though.

beyond those, let's see, i've been meeting interesting people who are going too, to differing locales, i had a "kiwi" breakfast of french toast with bacon, bananas and maple syrup on top, i forgot everyone drives on the "other" side of the road and the car, the feijoa fruit is dee-lish, oh and the time diff is 20 hours later than olympia time (or 4 hours earlier, but the next day!) wonderfully confusing.

alright, more to come soon. i actually leave for the ice tomorrow in the am (2nd of nov.) and have hardly any idea of what to expect, so, i'll keep you posted on any of the interesting bits that come my way...

lots of love to all

Tags: On the Road

 

Comments

1

nattels can't wait to hear about your adventures! Thanks for the b-day wishes too! Love you, dave

ps - if you meet the aliens living underneath the ice tell them hola for me! :)

  dave Nov 2, 2007 4:35 AM

About kansas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.