Existing Member?

soultraveller

Finding My Om in India

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [110] | Scholarship Entry

"It's like I can peer into your brain.", says my little brother as he finished reading my posts about my recent trip.

Since I only get a chance to travel abroad once to twice a year, I made it a point to bottle the experience by journaling. Most of my writings tackled my inner journey as I tour around- not your typical travel guide. For me though, it was more meaningful that way.

One of my favorite stories is when I learned to hold on to my happiness.

Last year, on my fourth visit to India, I joined more than 24,000 people in a huge gathering of raja yoga meditation students from all over the globe. It was the happiest convention I have ever attended.

I am not dancing or singing or shouting for joy. Nor am I laughing out loud or shedding tears of happiness. There’s simply an inner stability and contentment inside. The mind is clear and my heart is calm. I am ok and so is everything else around me. The stillness is like that of the depths of the ocean. I am at peace with myself, nothing is bothering me at all- not the distinct smell of Indian spice floating in the air, or my upset stomach, or even the small space I’m cramped in.

The teacher in the satsang (gathering) explains, “No matter what situations arise, it should not take away your happiness”.

As if to challenge if I really inculcated this lesson, this year I missed by plane to India. Well, I decided not to board the plane two weeks prior to my scheduled departure. I just knew that my body cannot handle the long trip (been sick).

It was a big lost for me though. It felt as though I missed my Christmas since it is the one thing I look forward to just as a child's giddy about the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year. I also prepared for it for six months prior to the supposed trip. As in any reputable school, students had to qualify to be admitted. Not to mention, the thousands of pesos which just flew out the window when I missed my flight (just learned that promo fares cannot be refunded and it costs twice as much when you opt for rebooking).

Inspite of all that, I wasn't sad, mad or disappointed. There was simply a calm and gentle acceptance of the situation. It is what it is. No qualms, resistance, or objection.

Oh my gosh! After four years of going back and forth to the Land of Prayer, I think I finally imbue om (peace).

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.