Existing Member?

Super Impulsive Trip

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 22 March 2011 | Views [370] | Scholarship Entry

I love traveling, but there's no much opportunity to satisfy my passion on it. I'm still a college student, that's why i have no much time and money to travel.
Then, comes a day. That day, i was very stressful facing exams. I just couldn't think about the course material for the exam. And what i thought was the holiday time after exam! It must be a very good time to travel. Moreover, i had saved money from my 8-months part time job. It's not that much, but i think it's enough. And the most important thing is i don't need to ask money from my parents.
I called my friends in 2 different cities. I asked whether it's okay if i live with them if i go to their cities. They said yes. And they wanted to be my guide too! So, i decided to go to their cities after the exam week over. It's really a super impulsive decision!
And the D-day comes. Departed from Bandung, West Java, i went to the first city, Malang, East Java, by train. The trip took around 17 hours. I stayed 3 days in Malang. There, i visited a vintage restaurant called Toko Oen. I tried the well-known home-made ice cream. Yummm. Beside, I love the interior. It's very classic. This place is kinda famous. You can see many foreigner there.
I also visited a park called Batu Night Spectacular. This park open only at night. In this place you can walk around the lampion garden, enter the ghost house, play ferris wheel, and watch 4D movie!
Visiting to a new place, it’s a must to try the local food. I try tahu petis (tofu with special seasoning made from shrimp, called petis), rujak cingur (vegetable, fruit, tempe, tofu, and cow's mouth being mixed with petis. it's really fresh and tasty!), and cwimie malang (noodles with pangsit). I enjoyed traditional food so much!
After 3 days, i went to Jogjakarta. The trip took around 9 hours by bus. In Jogja, i went to Beringharjo market. Buying beautiful batik clothes with a very cheap price. Thanks to my friend who bargained it with her ability to speak Javanese. Yup, the seller sometimes put a higher price if they think you can’t speak Javanese. And beware, the price maybe higher if you're a foreigner.
I also visited Prambanan Temple. There are 4 complexes of temple, but people usually go only to the Loro Jonggrang. That time, i visited all of the 4 complexes by walking. While walking, i thought that being a slow and solo traveler is very exciting!
Next place is Museum Affandi. There, i can see paintings from maestro Affandi. And what’s shocking me is there’s a painting with 1,5 billion price. WOW!
Even just for a week, i’m so excited with this trip. I can visit so many good places. It’s also my first time being a solo traveler. I really wanna have another great trip!

Tags: #2011writing, batu night spectacular, beringharjo market, indonesia, malang, museum affandi, prambanan, toko oen, travel writing scholarship 2011

 

About kamoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.