Existing Member?

Loveless

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 20 April 2012 | Views [208] | Scholarship Entry

Unfortunately, with global modernization, I fear this meaning is losing ground. Truth and spirituality are trumped by materialism and hedonism. Hong Kong must be a good example of this. Hong Kong must be my yin and yang. I have experienced the purest, most blissful pleasure here, but I have also experienced what I believe to be machinations of moral degradation. Please, forgive me for being so grim. I only want to write about what I have seen and the subsequent thoughts that materialize from these experiences. I thoroughly enjoy writing about the beauty of human nature, the wonders of the natural world, and rainbows and butterflies; however, I know as well as anyone else that this beauty derives its power in stark contrast to the "ugly" that begets the world around us. Therefore, I feel obliged to write about the less wonderful experiences and observations.

This story takes place in LKF, party central in Hong Kong. Any given night, there will be hordes of women scantily clad in an assortment of clothing ensembles. Carefree party rockers and inelegant drunks bumble in and out of the plethora of bars until the sun rises, the MTR starts running again, and the more responsible are waking for work.

The clubs play loud, pounding, repetitive house music in a room filled with smoke. At 4:30 AM, everyone's eyes look the same--lifeless. Only the models with their immaculate beauty were left. They moved their half-conscious bodies in rhythm with the entrancing atmosphere. The TV screen reminded me of the video from The Ring flashing clips of everything from stick figures walking to dogs skateboarding. The room felt soulless, it felt lifeless. Although there were lovers, beautiful people, and flashing lights, there was no love, no beauty, and no light in their eyes. The look in their eyes was empty. The flashing television in combination with the smoke, pounding techno, and mindless models in the room made me feel like I had gone to hell. Is this what hell is like?

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kameeka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.