Existing Member?

Restless Feet Must Travel Adventures Near Far and In Between

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [219] | Scholarship Entry

I have travelled near and far but I must say that no other culture loves food like Filipinos. The Filipinos’ love for food and the variety of food they eat speak greatly of the kind of people that they are.
Guests to a Filipino home are customarily welcomed with the words “Kumain ka na ba?” (Have you eaten?) instead of a “How are you?” or “How was your day?” It’s an offer to share a meal, a saying to show that “you are welcome here.” It highlights that sharing a meal in Filipino culture is a way to show someone’s importance and acceptance. It is the most basic example of the famous Filipino hospitality.
In my travels to the different regions of the Philippines, I can’t deny that Filipino cuisine has the most off-putting dishes, proof of true Filipino ingenuity and resourcefulness. We make use of all body parts of our meats be it chicken, pork, beef or seafood. Common grilled street foods in the bustling Metro Manila are pork or chicken intestines, coagulated pork blood, chicken feet, liver, gizzards, ass and heart. When the popular Filipino roast pig called lechon is cooked, a blood stew of the pig’s innards is usually prepared so as not to waste any part of the pig. Since the Philippines is a developing country, Filipinos have learned to make appetizing anything edible. We take “offal” to a whole new level.
This is does not mean that Filipino cuisine is not indulgent. The cuisines of Pampanga in Luzon and Bacolod in the Visayas, which were once centers of government during the Spanish occupation, reflect the Spanish indulgence in Filipino cuisine. A lot of Kapampangan savory dishes have direct counter-parts in Spanish cuisine. Bacolod, which was known for its azucarera or sugar bowl, is famous for desserts that are of Spanish influence. This indulgence is mirrored not only in the food but also in the Filipino’s penchant for fiestas or parties. We find ways to celebrate any and every occasion. This just shows why truly “it’s more fun in the Philippines.”

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About k3doble


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.