Existing Member?

A Znack Abroad

The End. Kinda.

THAILAND | Tuesday, 9 April 2013 | Views [453]

The last week was filled with a bit of bittersweet occurences for me. After writing my last blog, I met up with the group to grab some dinner at a night market near where we were staying. We made the ten minute walk pretty fast as we were all starving. Food devoured really quickly, the group decided it was time to go to a 10 Baht shot bar, many of which tiny kiosks get set up in the evening consisting of tiny seats and little benches used as tables. Now I think Kanchanaburi is a very nice place. In the day time. When you can get out of the area and go for, say, a day hike, or river float or something. But for some reason, at night, all the creepers seem to come out (mind you I may be basing this entirely off the area we were located in, which I am really hoping is the case). These creepers are the most loveliest of kinds, the older variety of the male species, who seem to be attracted to young, gorgeous Thai women. They sit at the bar all day, and are still there when you walk home. Except they have managed to procure these women. For me, I found it to be a very large turn off, as it seemed very prevalent everywhere in our area (yes, we even watched one leave a hotel room the next morning). I realize that this is a difficult subject to simply start to write about, but I think it was rather off putting to see possible sex tourists out. In Bangkok, you didn't notice it. Neither in Pai, or Chiang Mai. But in the area we were, it was unavoidable (I think the only people in the area were these men, and our tour group). This would be part one of my bittersweet (I'd say almost contradictive) week: gorgeous area, sleezy night scene. Now, I would quite love to move on (and maybe discuss this in person if again) as this seems to get my blood boiling. Sarah and I decided to skip out on the shot scene and find a massage (you can get one there for 150 baht!) Sleep came immediately after the best massage ever.

The next day we went to the Tiger Temple. It used to be a temple where the monks used to take care of tigers. Then the abbot of the temple made the decision to open it up to tourists. Which is fine and all. Until you see all these tigers (over 100 in the facility) being led around, or chained up, or just exhausted in the heat being forced to pose for photos. It's great that there are places to "help" out the tigers (they say that many of them end up dead and abused in the wild), as they have programs in place to vaccinate and keep them healthy, which I can't argue with. But to me, I just can't help but feel bad, or even guilty, about going to places like this. It's such a double edged sword and I am yet still unsure how I feel about it all (again, I only saw the tourist area, nothing behind the scenes, so I can't really know exactly what goes on). Anyway, enough bitter. The tigers were really cute. The property in which they are kept on was masive and had boars, waterbuffalo, deer, and other random animals. The girls in the group got the chance to walk along with tigers, and some of them got to go and take photos with them. After a day in 46 degrees, we made our way back to the hotel. Another night of street market food filled my ravenously hungry belly, and Sarah and I went for another massage.

The next day we were up early to do the Erawan National Park which consisted of a 7 tiered waterfall (you hike to each tier) in which you can swim in. Upon arrival we all immediately jumped into the 3rd waterfall, which was suprisingly ice cold and very refreshing. The group made our way to tier five, and many decided that it wasn't worth going any higher. For some reason, I had a ton of energy in 45 degrees, and wanted to press on all the way to the top (or it may be also due to the fact that my family was the in back of my head disappointed in me cause I didn't see it all). So Sarah and I booked it up the rest of the hike. Unfortunatley the last waterfall was pretty full of tourists and we decided we'd make our way back to the group. This was the day I learned that a downhill hike in ripoff Birkenstocks was not sucha  great idea. Finally after squeezing our way through the mass crowds of tourists, we reached the end of the trail and I promptly devoured a few ice creams. I'd never seen such a busy National Park area (Banff in summer? psh, that's nothing). Nonetheless, it was a neat hike, and I got some cool shots. We drove back to town, and all made our way to the pool for some homemade sangria. Sarah and I had another quiet night (something happened to our stomachs in Railay, and drinking really wasn't an option) and decided we would get two hours worth of massages! Yes turn green with envy!!

The next morning brought about our last day in Kanchanaburi, which was kinda nice as I was ready to start inflicting pain on old men. We all boarded a taxi to go for our last activity: elephant trekking, but this time we got to swim/bathe with them. Sarah and I rode together and after a little jaunt around we deboarded the elephant, and made our way to the river, where we were all to proceed with washing them. We sat bareback on the elephant while it sprayed us with its trunk (I guess it was a bit of give and take). I almost fell off a few times, but mostly stayed on. At least, until it was instructed to drop us into the water. There we were handed brushes and soap and we gave it a good scrub. Finishing that, we boarded our freshly polished pachyderm for a bareback ride back to the main area. Trip concluded, we thanked the elephants and made our way back to Kanchan. Again, I was left with the same feelings as I had with the tigers. It feels like these animals are put through this silly joke just to amuse tourists. I felt ashamed for using the animal, and pretty guilty for it having to work so hard. Anywho, after arriving back in town, we boarded a minibus to make our way back to Bangkok. We arrived mid afternoon, checked into our hotel, and did a bit of shopping before we all got ready for our fairwell dinner on the 83rd floor of Baiyoke Sky Tower (the tallest in Thailand). The buffet went all around the inner wall of the building and I made sure to devour as much meat as I could (I have really been missing it). All of us stuffed, we went to the revolving viewpoint (84th floor) and took pictures. The group called it a night shortly thereafter.

The next day was spent shopping again, as it was Sarah's last night in Bangkok before she left for the Philippines. We were exhausted after a long day of fighting the crowds and the next morning we were to be picked up at seven for the airport.

I woke up pretty happy that I wasn't flying home, and was pretty stoked to get out of bkk and make my way back to Tao. But never on this trip had I been so stressed. The bus didn't show up at seven (I had booked a flight from Bangkok to Samui to save another night train, which departed at 9 am), and instead we ended up getting picked up at a quarter to eight. We made it to the airport for me to only find out that check in closed 40 mins prior to boarding (it was almost 20 after with a very long line). I managed to avoid the line and booked it down to my gate (which I also barely made as they close 15 mins prior to departure). Oh so fortunately I found my seat, next to two Vancouverites who helped me figure out where I need to take the ferry back to Tao from. Not long after I was in Tao.

The last couple of days I've been doing a whole hell of nothing, but it's been nice to finally not be rushing around. I've booked my advance open water course at Pura Vida starting tomorrow, which I'm very excited to do. Right now, I'm about to go and put a deposit down for a 5 day/4 night live aboard sailing course, where I'll get my crew course certificate. I'm even more excited for that. Songkran is Saturday, and I just purchased my watergun. Man, I feel so blessed and fortunate.

Love to all of you, and wish you were here.

Jen

 

 

About jznack


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.