Existing Member?

A Znack Abroad

Contemplation of marriage and surreality

THAILAND | Friday, 15 March 2013 | Views [470]

On the 10th we made our way to Fang which was a nice five hour drive. Slithering in sunscreen and sun oil, we crawled back into our domain of the back of the truck. The drive consisted of many gorgeous mountain scenes (sorry Dad we were driving far too fast for me to actually take a decent shot) and  interesting, tiny villages scattered along the way. We stopped about 2 hours in to grab some mango chicken, which Ing assured us was the best in Thailand. Once again full of delicious northern Thai food, we hopped back in the truck and continued our journey towards Fang. Upon arrival to the tiny hotel tucked away off the main streets, we enjoyed the cool air conditioning until we gathered up the strength to wander down to the orange farm.The view of from the road into the orchard was abosutely ridiculously beautiful: trees for as far as you could see sprawled up mountain slopes, lakes on both sides. and a little European styled chalet tucked away in the distance(where many Thai soaps and such are filmed). We got in just before close and enjoyed a bus ride around the well kept grounds where we all snapped pictures of random trees of oranges. The tour was finished with us devouring tiny little oranges. which were quite sour, but you ate the skin which added the much needed sweetness to it all. Arriving back in Fang we made our way for some delish street food and a bit of shopping in the night market. Foreigners don't much visit Fang and I kinda felt like a celebrity with everyone staring at me (I just tell myself that). It was fun, but everyone was exhausted, so with the night finished, I had a much needed good sleep.

The next morning came early and we were on our way to the Burma/Thai boarder for a bit of crazy ridiculous shopping. It was absolutely crazy seeing so much and I definitely felt a little overwhelmed with all the stuff we saw in the markets: Louis Vutton, Ray Ban, Chanel, etc, for all ridiculous cheap (no copy right in Burma so free game)and all knockoffs. Definitely the place to go to do all your Christmas shopping. Following our little jaunt to another country, we made our way to the Golden Triangle to do the boat ride to Burma/Laos/Thailand. Boarding our motorized canoe we jaunted down the river, then back up with go buy ourselves some cobra whiskey, then back to the Thailand. Three countries in one day! New record! After getting back to the truck we drove the rest of the distance to Chiang Rai. We got put up in a really adorable hotel by one of the city clocks that was gold, which was really cool. After having a much needed shower (I don't think there is any shower here that is not much needed) we ended up going to a mall for some Thai soup and duck (yeah mom, duck). After devouring a whole plate of duck to myself we decided it was night market time and wandered around there, where there were some lady boy performers (who definitely didn't look it to me), and some traditional music and more modern. Full of more food, and some really neat si(gh)t(e)s, we crashed.

Tuesday morning was a very very full day. Immediately after breakfast we drove to the Black House, which was an art haven (I can't even desribe it without showing you all photos). Currently housed was a celebration of national and international artistic talent, and some more crazy artist type. I could have spent the whole day there, it was so stunning, really awe inspiring, ridiculous, incredulous and just simply surreal (photos will come, I promise, I just haven't been able to connect my camera). Finally after having to will myself to leave, we drove to the hill tribes to see some cultural music and wander tourist-eyed through the villages. We saw the famed long neck people with the many rings (who hand make many scarves which take hours to produce). Following that, we made our way to the white temple for some seriously surreal and mind bending architecture (like seriously, so crazy). Everything was made of white, with reflective panels to make everything glimmer, with an image of Buddha in the main area. Again, it was hard to describe the surreality of it all, and it felt much like buildings that appear in dream reality. After a full day of wonder and awe, we made our way back to Chiang Mai, where the four of us would part ways with Ing. The shuttle for the bus arrived at 6 and soon enough we were on a double decker bus (with many other Canadians) on our way back to Bangkok. I lucked out and snagged a double seat and could mostly sleep on them.

We arrived in Bangkok at 4:30 am. Finding our hotel, we were informed that our room wouldn't be ready for a while. So we slept in the cafeteria, probably much to their dismay. Rooms ready, I had a nap, then Bry (who's birthday was that day) and I went for a facial! Firstly I must admit that magic like that doesn't happen often, but my face was massaged by hands of a goddess. I hadn't felt that amazing in a very long time, and for once was debating on how my parents would feel if I were to tell them I had asked a Thai woman to marry me! That thought was put aside when I woke from my facial induced slumber to see my tan was completely gone thanks to all the talcum powder. Saddened I left the face goddess and we made our way to meet the girls and go for another massage (spa day birthday!). My sadness was shortlived when yet again I was greeted by the hands of an angel. For the 1/2 hr that I lay there I ran through my mind how our wedding day would be. And again, I was awakened by the masseuses knees in my back as she bent my spine over them. The day concluded with us wondering around Kho San Roa and eating again. We parted ways with Karly and Becca, as their flight back to Sask was very early in the morning, then proceeded to have a very interesting and very fun night at a few bars and a Thai night club.

Yesterday, after waking a little later on in the day, we wandered our way to Wat Po to amble around the grounds and see the massive and brilliant reclining Buddha. Not a word I can write here will describe it's immaculate prestige. Just go. And see it! Stunning (yes dad, I got good photos). With the day winding down, and us feeling a little rough, we packed Bry up for her trip to Japan and had our last night of hanging out.

After a day of trying to catch up on last minute shopping, and a complete down pour, I just saw Bry to her cab. Tomorrow I will be getting up early to make my way to the Grand Palace, Wat Arat, and some of the canals tomorrow, and maybe a few other places depending on heat and time. Sarah is in at around 11, and then the next day we will be starting the 3 weeks of southern hospitality.

Till later everyone and I hope you are awesome!

Love,

Jen

About jznack


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.