Existing Member?

A Traveller's Journeys "Life is a series of surprises, and would not be worth taking or keeping if it were not." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mi Primera Semana en Madrid

SPAIN | Monday, 11 February 2008 | Views [352]

This week has been a cycle of emotions. Here are some excerpts from emails to friends...

2/3/08

I'M HERE!!! The internet goes in and out, but at least I can get it sometimes! Nothing to exciting yet, just my senora is super cute even though I can only understand 20% of what she says. She's an amazing cook. I'm going to gain weight. I haven't seen much of Madrid yet, but I'll let you know when I do. It's overcast and sprinkly now. I miss you and love you and can't really believe I'm here. but I am!

2/4/08

yay giants. i heard it was a boring game til the last few minutes...

i think i'm too overwhelmed to be super excited about spain, but i am surviving. i can't believe how independent they expect us to be already. i successfully took the metro home from la plaza del sol, where i window shopped with cleo and ali... i successfully switched metro stops, exited on the correct street of the metro (i completely understand the metro system but COMPLETELY hate that you can get off at the right stop but the wrong street and be completely lost. and you know my penchant for getting lost..) walked the four blocks hooome. by myself. in the dark. and didn't get mugged. or die. it was pretty much amazing. i was proud.

we took the train to school today for the tour. the campus is nice. me encanta. but the train station was the site of the 2004 terrorist attacks, and they had the terminal all blocked off as a memorial. it was eerie.

i can't believe that tomorrow's super tuesday. i ♥ barack! go obama! obama baracks my wooorld. CAN'T WAIT!

2/5/08

What have I been doing in Espana? Trying not to get lost. I can get to school and back! and to la plaza del sol and back! woo. go me. The food is good. I'm coming back fat. My senora thinks I'm an army of one and can eat massive amounts of portions of food. So I did, so I wouldn't be rude. But I can't keep eating this much... it's ridiculous.

I can never get the key out of the lock when I come back in, so I think my senora thinks that I am an idiot... it's gotten to the point where she gets kind of frustrated that I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. But she's nice. Communication is an issue. I can't understand anything. I hope she likes me. She acts like she does, but it's such a big change, and she was telling me about her previous study abroad students... and I can tell that they were way more accustomed to spanish than i am... she kept saying how funny this kind John was... all I could think was that I don't have a sense of humor. and that I've been kinda quiet because I don't know what to say.

It's strange. I'm not excited about being in Spain. More in disbelief. Once I stop spending so much of my energy on trying to survive here, I think I'll be alright. but it's a huge adjustment. I live for when I can see the other study abroad girls, I need that English connection. I'm totally using it as a crutch right now. I want to learn Spanish. But I need to have normalcy now, and something to lean on.

Despite this, everything's good. Really it is. It's just a lot. And all at once.

No Spanish boys. and No Nakedness. Not yet at least.

My university is nice, I'm just going through orientation. Today we had our first class on how to survive in Spain. When to use tu o usted and music and culture and things.

Then we got to buy cell phones!!!!!!!! EXCITING.

It feels like I've been here forever already, but it's only been 3 days. I know once I get the hang of things, time will go by super fast. But for now it kind of feels like a marathon. Pero, estoy bien.

2/6/08

it's late. i just finished tarea. so i'll be quick.

we had sad news today too. i had a million emails from stetson. they were on lock down for 3 hours. someone was suicidal and possibly armed. sound familiar? i guess all is well. i haven't heard from anyone. the email just said that the lockdown was lifted.

spain is going well though. i finally figured out how to lock and unlock the doors without getting my key stuck and having to do the whole thing again!!!!!!!!!!! my senora probably thought "it's about time." but all is well. she's really nice. it's just so different. and hard when i can't understand anything. yay language barrier! i'm so ready to break it...

happy news: i heard an enrique iglesias song on the bus that i knew today! dimelo! it was super exciting.

more happy news! BARACK. me encanta.

i had to write a song today for homework, it had to model this song by the band amaral. and it's a song about the girl being in a hotel room alone and thinking about her friends. i was like, this is easy. we had to pretend we'd been here for 4 months and then received news on how much our friends' situations had changed. so you called me to say hello, and that your party went well, and that you were visiting in a week (time frame way off, but it worked in the song..) you also informed me that barack will be president. i know, i know. barack isn't a personal friend, but whatever, we talk about him like he's our friend. then i talked about being far away from everyone and in a strange but wonderful place. and then the song moved to maggie telling me that hard times were happening at stetson but katherine was doing well in tennis (even though she just told me she wasnt) and that she was engaged to david (again, not reality. but total possibility. and i was given free range with the creativity) then i talked about how james quit his job (he told me he wanted to) and when i looked up the word for quit it said dejar de fumar (quit smoking) so i put that in there too. then i had to fill in the blanks for so and so moved ______ ... michael to boston. and ______ had a kid... melinda. it was easy to write, cause it was about everything i'm going though now. and most of the things in there aren't all that fictional. definite possibilities. it was fun.

2/7/08

i had my first spanish beverage con alcohol today! sangria. at a little bar we found called imperfecto. but the m wasn't there, so you could only see the imprint of the m in the wood. it was fun. pero, i'm not going to be drunk in madrid. probably not, anyway. because a) my metro stop closes at 940, this means i have to learn to take the night bus, which i haven't figured out yet... b) alcohol es muy cara en madrid... c) i don't like walking around campus alone at night, let alone around the sketchy outskirts of madrid when i'm borracha.

i miss you. immensely. but i think i'm done going through my super cycles of emotions. it's been a stable day and i think i found a rhythm. i'm sure i will cycle a little again with culture shock and whatnot. but i feel the most comfortable with spain today than i have since i've been here. these are good things.

2/8/07

i helped my senora make paella, ensalada, y una ensalada de fruta for guests coming for lunch! it was bonding time, and a breaking of the language barrier-- without using words! i'm working on the language, but it was great to connect in a way sin hablar.

we went to a museum. kind of boring. until the end, when i got to see rivera and picasso and van gogh. and dali! i might end up taken the arte class... we'll see.

and then we went to a tapas bar! they give you wanter and a jar of sangria for your table, and then you just order a bunch of appetizers and pass them around the table as a meal. so much fun :)

and then we had CHURROS CON CHOCOLATE. sooo good. churros are fried. fried dough. and you can taste the oil. but it doesn't matter. they are delicious. and the chocolate isn't super sweet, but it doesn't need to be. me encanta!

despues, we walked around downtown madrid (i love sol, and paseo del prado, and the wonderful nice downtown parts of madrid.. the outskirts where i live, kind of sketch.) but i'm to the point where i'm allowing myself to fall in love with the actual city. we're going to their equivalent of central park tomorrow. so we killed 2 hours doing nothing because we wanted to test out los buhos (means the owls, the night buses). and we did. successfully. well, i missed my stop and had to walk two extra blocks. not that bad. but i could have only walked a block home. but it doesn't matter, i made it home by 1230 (los buhos start at 12).

and that was my exciting day.

2/9/08

today was our free day! we went to el parque del retiro, think central park in NYC. it was just a beautiful way to spend the day. lunch looking out at a lake where people rent row boats, exploring, photo ops, el angel caido, helado. it was wonderful :)

2/10/08

we went to the street market today! it was cool, but the one in istanbul = way better. but i also didn't explore as much as i probably should have. it was cooooold. i'm ready for the warmness to come in.

... I can't believe I've been here a week. It's been an adjustment, but I'm making it. I thought that my Spanish skills would have increased exponentially, but it's going to take a lot of work, and it will have to come little by little -- nothing is never as easy as we want it to be. But everything is going well. Overall, I am content with the week. Goal for this week: interact with las Espanolas mas, my senora doesn't count.

Tags: Adventures

About jupiter1123


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.