Existing Member?

Story of a Girl Who Admires Trains

Off to the East

INDONESIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [93] | Scholarship Entry

(I'm writing again for the second time here. The first entry was lost on the binary systems - it just lost... I couldn't understand)

It has a rectangular shape which is its body.

Then... hey! There are other smaller rectangles scattered upon its body.

Also, there are splash of colors - usually not more than 3 colors - that's like telling us, "We're not just a factory result."

What comes to your mind when the said sentences appear? In case you have no clue, worry not, because that was me, trying to describe what trains look like in Indonesia.

As the first child of our family, I have experienced wide range of transportation system - from swift motorcycles (known as 'ojek'), bus, airplanes, trains, also cars.

However, only trains which holds a special place in my eyes.

I rarely go traveling. I like to do it, though. Often times, I didn't manage to do it because of financial issues or mismatched time, either when I want to go alone or going together with my friends.

One of the travel journeys which I always keep in the back of my brain's memory is this: the journey to the East(ern) side of Java island.

That was the first time I treasure the long hours trip (approximately 12 hours) from a constant-moving vehicle. Come to think of it, the journey wasn't supposed to be a holiday, because it was more of a business trip. I had to accompany my dad, to go to his hometown in Mojokerto, East Java province.

We seated in the executive class - which offers more comfort than economy class, but still cheaper than business class - therefore, I almost felt no hassle during the trip. We departed from Gambir central station at 4 p.m. (the transition time from a sunny day to cooler night). At 6 p.m., our train reached Cirebon, and the journey which was still faaar away, couldn't be any better than that.

Various sights that I enjoyed seeing during the journey are all green/half yellow paddy fields, villagers' houses (including their laundry, cattlery, and parabola satellites!), also the Semar/Gareng/Petruk wind sign which is placed on the top of their houses.

The long hour journey wasn't dragging for me, instead it has successfully opened my eyes about another side of the island which I've lived in for more than 20 years.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jumpingfeetandhearts


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.