Existing Member?

NoFixedAddress

Back in the UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 3 March 2010 | Views [352]

Chester

Chester

The plan was to take a ferry back to England after Belfast, but after receiving a message from a friend that I had worked with while I was in Edinburgh I decided to head that way for a few days instead. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the city of Edinburgh, it has so much charm and history. And it is really nice to go somewhere that you already know your way around.

After visiting Edinburgh I did a bit of jumping around England going from Birmingham to Liverpool and back to Birmingham again before heading to London. In Birmingham I visited another friend that I had met while in Australia. The first round there we wandered about the city and I saw that despite everyones jokes about Birmingham, its got its charms. We also got a view from above when we hiked up a hill in the snow (yup, thats right, snow. Weather has not been as co-operative since I arrived back in the UK from Northern Ireland, lots of rain and even a bit of snow!) to check out Birmingham and surrounding towns, and of course we had to end with a pint up on the hill at the pub :) The second round in Birmingham was a bit of a sports weekend watching my friend Matt's rugby team play then watched England vs Ireland in the club house. The next day it was the football (soccer) team Matt supports playing Manchester United, a big deal I guess, so we went to the local pub to watch the game, and I must say it was hard not to get into it. It was absolutely jam packed, reeked of beer and sweat from mass amount of people there (I am sure they would have been well over the legal limit of people if it were in Canada). Even when the screen was blocked by some big burly bloke you could still know what was going on just by the reaction of all the people around you, it was really fantastic! There were a few kids running around and sitting at the bar with pint glasses lined in front of them. The kids were not drinking of course but it still makes me look twice when I see a kid wander by in a mass of drinking adults. But it is really neat to see how the kids are taken care of. When they are trying to push through the crow of adults towering over them, its just a matter of them getting the attention of the first person they need to pass and then a path is clear for them from there with everyone tapping the next person on the shoulder to let them know a little one is passing through, quite cute to watch. And for a fantastic end to the evening around midnight UK time we were at friends of Matt's when they happened to flip the tv on to the olympics and I got to watch the end of the gold medal match for men's hockey US vs Canada, it was brilliant!

While in Liverpool I got to meet up with Mandy whom most of you know is one of my bosses from my job at Pivotal Events the event planning company. When Mandy wasn't getting some work done we had fun touring around Liverpool and even managed a half day trip to Chester a city with its city center enclosed by a wall built back in the day that they never took down. In Liverpool we of course check out the Beatles museum and some of the streets associated with them. We also climbed up the tower in the Old Cathedral, which was Mandy's first time despite growing up in Liverpool so that was fun. While at the top as windy as it was we got a good 360 view of the city. It was great to have Mandy there to point everything out as I would have just stared blankly out over the city had I been on my own. I had a quick stop over in Manchester and from there popped over to York which is like Chester with a wall surrounding the city but it is even older. It was just a quick wander through Chester most of the time spent in shops trying to get out of the rain/snow.


So its back to London for me then I will be heading down to Lille, France for a few days to visit another friend met in Oz, and hopefully we'll take a trip over to Bruges, Belgium as well before heading back to London to wait for a few days until Zack arrives to join me for Morocco!

 

About juliethenomad

Enjoying the beach in Dingle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.