Existing Member?

Prone to Wander

St. John's Newfoundland

CANADA | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [210] | Scholarship Entry

A solitary trip to a land of strangers was right up my alley, so I took off in early-Winter to chase adventure across to the East Coast of Canada. Nine days spent wandering the diversely beautiful and hauntingly barren landscape of St. John's Newfoundland left me inspired and overwhelmed with the quiet beauty, savage strength and delicate treasures of Newfoundland. Days spent wandering hidden coves, hiking up jagged hills, wind tangling my hair and the sea air kissing my lips were followed by evenings of fine dining, dancing jigs and drinking local beer had me falling in love with the wonder of travel.
St. John's signature colourful reputation (both in nature's display of sea and sky as well as in the brightly painted houses of the city) rubbed off in the glow of my cheeks, the sparkle in my eye and the smile on my lips. Whether it was road tripping with some locals, stopping in for a drink at the home of some local fishermen who waved me in, or joining up with an impromptu birthday party my solitary trip to St. J's left me yearning for more.
There's something beautiful about finding yourself in the faces of strangers, the slope of hill and crash of unknown seas.
Travel, to me, is the culmination of a lifetime of experiences—reflected in the faces of strangers, strange lands, and the familiar glow of shared humanity.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About julietdw


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.