Existing Member?

Juju around the World

Sandwiches and Epiphanies

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [121] | Scholarship Entry

Travelling alone is never lonely. Inspiration from two pieces of bread and corned beef.

Fresh from my debut OE in Europe, I was onto the Americas. Just to clarify I’m no Columbus. When I say the Americas it was just New York and San Francisco. Armed with 5 days in New York, I moved like a demon to explore Manhattan.
I explored all that I could in a late heat wave in October. I started from my hostel in Chelsea and walked. I caught all the sites possible for my little legs to take me; Times Square, Central Park, the Met, MoMa, Rockefeller centre, Statue of Liberty,and Chinatown. Ticking off all the big ones while discovering little ones that only walking can offer(and blisters, walking also offers blisters no matter how good a shoe).
As amazing as the sights, taking time to discover the people made my trip unforgettable.The generous locals always ready to ask, “you alright?". The kind women outside Macy's approaching to make sure I was on the right path. The young man outside MoMa fundraising for his youth group in Harlem,keeping me company while I ate my first New York hotdog.
The one that stays is Ken and Lil at Katz deli. After walking from west to east along Houston St, I was lucky to find lunch in bedlam. Navigating my way around the ticket and queue system, I was treated with a testing slice of corned beef and a thick Brooklyn accent. I got a table,a sandwich and an interesting plate of pickles in varying shades of green.
Lil approached with a shaky Ken asking if they could sit with me. With Ken seated, Lil was off to begin the ritual for lunch. Ken talked about Lil and himself. They’re from Brooklyn and together since the 60’s. The best news of his life was 50 years ago, when Lil also wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. He heard the second best news 15 mins ago; Lil's cancer is gone. The gentle old man started to weep.
Lil returned and I looked up, ”Sorry, I made him cry”. Lil smiled telling me to ignore him. She put down the tray and gently touched his back.
I enjoyed our lunch. Ken shared his creamy soda with me and after lunch they offered to take me to Brooklyn. Regretfully I declined, I had no plans for Brooklyn and I had more to tick off in Manhattan.
We all got up and left. Standing outside at the door we made our goodbyes. Their final blessing was wishing me a good and safe life, as many of the people I meant had blessed me. For me the blessing meant I was always travelling accompanied in their thoughts, even if alone.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jujuaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.