Existing Member?

Eurpoean South African Adventure

Table Mt to the coast and inland

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 27 July 2007 | Views [495]

So now that I have finally found a way to put titles on my photos there is less need for narrative - and yes Chris even included a few of me!!  So climbing Table Mt was fun - did you know that there are more than 320 routes to get up there and they lose multiple tourists each year in the process!!  I figured that out as I started to climb...literally..and as I scaled a cliff face without a guide rope I decided that it was time to climb right back down and go up in the cable car instead - no wonder every one was shocked when I said I was making a solo ascent.  As I got to the top I met up with my travelling companion Yvonne and we found miles of walking paths and beautiful birds - so plenty to keep us occupied and get us lost before decending to the waterfront for an afternoon of street entertainment -just another Darling Harbour.

I then headed off in my VW chicco (and boy can that baby roll) to Hermanus to see my whales - within an hour a security guard patrolling the cliff walk grabbed me and took me for a brisk walk - and there it was - my Southern right in spitting distance.  I then returned to my backpackers - kinda 60s style with a beautiful mural on my bed room wall announcing it to be my love cave!! 

So, next day I was on the road again - getting used to the South African driving and overcoming my initial trepidation I cranked the little chico up to 140 kph and headed for the hills!!!

Here in Outdshoorn I have found the bacpackers so friendly and the outdoors so enchanting that I have stayed three nights- and as you can see from the photos did a big MTB descent from Swatberg pass in gale force winds - the 2 English girls with me chose the wrong day to try to learn to ride a bike!!  After the third time that the wind threw them off to the edge of the cliff they both decided to take a more graceful descent in the van!!

Well there was the obligatory visit to an ostrich farm (delete emu in any of my photos - force of habit) - any of you guys want me to grab you an ostrich feather duster ?- I am sure your partners would appreciate them one way or another!!

I also went to the Cango caves - which were quite spectacular and a rival for jenolan.  I had my own personal guide who took me on the "adventure" tour squeezing through the 27cm love tunnel (due to the hugs n squeezes) up the chimney and through the post box - you get the picture.  One American tourist didn't though - back in Jan she refused advice that she should not go down and trapped herself and those that had gone before for 10 hours - go figure!!

Well - that's it for now .....back to the bar!!!  On to Tsitsikamma nature reserve tomorrow...

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.