Existing Member?

The Deep End My recent great attempt to evade the New York winter

Touchdown

USA | Tuesday, 29 January 2008 | Views [726] | Comments [6]

After an eighteen hour nonstop direct to Bangkok (with two hours of sleep...  totaled between three session) I land in what is easily the strangest airport I've been to.  This is not to say that it's decrepid; infact it's brand new, beautiful and enourmous.  Take JFK's 5 independent terminals and squish them together without reason... that would be Suvarnabhumi Airport, but smaller.  Anyway, having not being attached to any travel groups, unlike the majority of my fellow passengers, I decide to get a jump start on customs as to not wait on line behind said passengers.  I'm making good time, power walking like a soccer mom down the "motivated" walkways through the airport, following the signs to the best of my ability.  When I finally land at batallion of Thai Custom's kiosks, the majority of the groups on my flight are already there, some of them already through.  I don't think that I was travelling in circles; though I might have been, really I have now way of knowing; but the fact remains that I set off well before the groups even started to convene.  I don't know.  One of the other things about the airport, other than it being decorated with 20' foot "?blue buddist demons?" is that they had special inspection offices for almost everything.  For instance they had the Fish Inspection office and the Special Persons Inspection Office, whatever that means.  I thought this was strange until I saw one of the Officers going through this little Indian Man's bag and emptying out what must have been 300 "vibrating ring" condoms, various toy robots and boxes upon boxes of chocolate liquoirs.  He had nothing else, just the condoms and such.  I guess they know what their doing.  I spent 45 minutes figuring out what bus to take to Khao San, another 45 minutes taking the bus to khao san, and am having a great time in the process.  3 hours down, countless to go. 

Tags: Airports

Comments

1

welcome to south east asia, jon! hope bangkok is not too nuts but it usually is...can't wait for the next entry!

  iris Jan 30, 2008 2:37 PM

2

Hi Jon,

Sounds so exciting. Keep writing when you get a chance; love to hear about your trip. Dad says it was good to hear your voice this morning. Happy you are enjoying yourself. Baxter is doing well. He has found his private hiding space on his old shelf.
Speak to you soon.

Love, love & xxx Mom & Dad

  Jo Ann & Mike Stern Jan 31, 2008 1:33 PM

3

Man this blog sucks! Where are the pictures? I want my money back!!

Nah, really, sounds fun. Cara and I will keep reading.

  Schmeltzer Feb 3, 2008 4:35 AM

4

Rrrrrrrright - The "little Indian Man" had all that contraband.

I can't wait to see pictures! Remember, the women with adam's apples are the nicest.

  Cara Feb 4, 2008 2:23 AM

5

hi jon we are so happy that you are enjoying such a wonderful adventure, I'm keeping copies of all your writings and maybe one day you,ll be able to look back and remember all the great and exciting times. We love you an awful lot and wish you a safe journey home.
by the way your Mom and Dad reminded me not to use any bad language because everybody reads this. again much love.....

  doris and al saias grandma and grandpa Feb 23, 2008 10:03 AM

6

Hey Jon,

Sounds like a great experience. I web cam with two boys in South Korea, who lived in Boulder for two years. They are back home in South Korea, and I would like to visit them in a few years. How's the food?

  Aunt Marsha Feb 23, 2008 6:39 PM

About jstern01


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.