Existing Member?

A Tea For A Story

Cauliflower

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [138] | Scholarship Entry

An old man opened the door. He looked at me clueless.

"Please, I will work for food."

It was late July. My wallet ran out of cash. Winter cold is biting my flesh and into my bones. My first winter. My first independent expedition. My first time being away from home and family. Alone. Just 2 weeks ago, I was in summer Malaysia, ignoring my mum's cooking on the dining table, lazing around while waiting for my graduation.

"Ummm we don't have any job available but we're about to have our tea. You can join us."

The retired couple from England without any hesitation invited me for a tea. Question mark. Having English as my third language after my mother tongue, Kadazan-Dusun and Malay, the national language of my home-country, I got confused when they served a plate of glorious dinner; cauliflower burger with chips and handsomely seasoned grilled vegetables. I later found out that 'tea' is a meal served late in the evening complimented with a cup or two of tea and cute little biscuits to top it all.

"You can have some of these cauliflowers. You can go wild with it." Said the vegan man's wife.

Counting days backward, Tuesday, stir-fried cauliflower. Monday, cauliflower cake. Sunday, cauliflower soup. Saturday, mashed cauliflower. That day, Wednesday I earned my first wage. I rushed to the cafe. This time, I walked in from the front door. The man smiled upon my greeting.

"Can I have cauliflower burger and chips with grilled vegetables? And a cup of tea too, please."

For the first time in my life, I swear I wept while I eat. It still tasted just as wonderful as it was last Friday. I emptied my plate, sipped the last drop of tea, left $50 and a note on the table with a sprinkled-honest-tears that remains a secret between us.

I was already a few steps outside of the door as the woman ran to get me.

"Here. You can go wild with it." Said the woman while handing me a bag of cauliflower.

I'll never forget the day that changed my life forever...




Twist: ...Well, not really. Later, on the way back to my campervan, I dropped by at the nearest butcher shop and bought a freshly baked whole chicken and a piece of New Zealand's famous steak and cheese pie. I never turned vegan. I continued my working-holiday around New Zealand for a year and indulge myself to various culinary experiences in every sides and corners of the country.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jreadingtristan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.