Existing Member?

La Vida es جميل

Blue People and Bugs in My Food!

MEXICO | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [652]

I am discovering more and more how adventure is found in the small things in life. Having more free time has allowed me to approach life more inquisitively.

Example #1: I've been eating a lot of dates (the food, not men, haha) lately and have actually gone through about 2 kilos in the past week. I bought a pack today, and, while eating them, decided to do my own little investigation via Google inquiring--is it unhealthy to eat so many dates? The answer I got is no--but I came across a thread that discussed and showed videos and pictures of little creatures living inside this nature-made treat. So, for my next date, I decided to open it up--just to see if I would find a little friend in there--and what did I discover? A small, dead caterpillar! In the very first date I opened! How funny! I've been munching on dead (hopefully) bugs for the past week!

Example #2: Okay, so I am in México not feeling so well in the stomach area. Natural medicine is really popular here, so on my way to the super (what the supermarket is called, here, in Mexico City), I decide to walk into this cute shop that sells natural products. I tell the lady my situation and asked her for something she apparently had never heard of, all the while, I see her face light up as she shows me and tries to convince me to purchase "plata coloidal." Now I have no idea what coloidal is, but I sure know that plata means silver and if she wants me to eat silver, woman is loca. I politely decline and tell her I prefer to do some research before deciding if I would like to purchase the product or not. So, I go back to my friend Google, and what do I find? This product turns your skin BLUE! We have all seen the orange people of Jersey Shore before, but can you believe that there is a product out there that can turn your skin unintentionally blue? If not, just google the condition "argyria" and a famous blue man from Oregon will appear on your screen. 

In conclusion, you never know where adventure lies, and by being an inquisitive, fact-checking person--you may discover more than meets the eye.

Tags: adventure, blue people, bugs, dates, mexico

About jrbrink


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.