Existing Member?

La Vida es جميل

Día de los Muertos

MEXICO | Monday, 7 November 2011 | Views [247]

Death. How beautiful would it be to not feel depressed and at a state of loss when remembering our loved ones who have passed on?

Day of the Dead has to be one of my favorite holidays and this year, for the first time, I am in Mexico to celebrate it. During Day of the Dead families create alters or visit gravesites of their deceased where flowers, drinks, food, candles, and all sorts of other decorations are brought as gifts. Essentially, they are taking a day to not only remember their ancestors but to celebrate with them.

This holiday would prove valuable to Americans if introduced in the U.S. People need healthy ways for dealing with grieving and remembering those who have passed on. When experiencing the death of someone close, it seems that we are rushed into holding a funeral and then, when it is over,expected to force ourselves to snap back into our everyday routines.

Day of the Dead gives those who celebrate it a chance to connect with the dead and it is a really a fulfilling day of celebration. It invokes creativity and remembrance; one can celebrate it alone or make a trip to the centro to be with others. It is a spiritual holiday that embraces the natural tendency of us as humans to want to remember and spend time with our loved ones – alive or dead.

About jrbrink


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.