Existing Member?

Jozi Lights

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

I was barely 18, but I thought I was ready, freedom was calling, dreams had to be followed, passion was burning and many reasons why I needed to leave home. Looking back now, 6 years later, I realize I was not as ready as I thought, I left my small town with internal issues that only expanded when I became a city girl.
How so? Well, Jozi city was reputed for having bright lights, I only learned later that i was inspired by this metaphorically and not so much literally. The city as I grew to understand it was sharp and I subliminally periled my way through. In a short matter of time, I was misusing and abusing my liberty, an uncontrolable wild child I had became and was never bored of feeling like a small fish in, well, you know. Unressolved issues grew and merged with the new then translated physically, passing out at parties, walking around with a cancer stick and the most pathetic of all was messing up the most important of all, school, by simply not been bothered to show up to classes. Fast foward to this moment, I'm still living in the city I encountered back in 2006, and it's no longer the city I chose to study in or with job opportunities, but it's my home. Yes I remain a small town girl who evolved, I did what i do best and what my name suggests and I rose. Independence, wisdom and courage are amongst the virtues I have profited, this is one heck of a city, hands down, what a ridiculous ride I've put myself through and I will resume to rejoice in my journey.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About jozilights


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.