Existing Member?

Discovering Peace in Traveling

Waterfalls of Hapiness

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

I grew up near Cartagena and Santa Marta which are well-known places for their unbelievable seas, colonial architecture and delightful Caribbean cuisine and since I use to have family living over there I went every other vacation.

It wasn’t until my vacations of January of 2012 when I discovered I great piece of land very close to the city of Santa Marta, an ageless and peaceful place that changed my perception about beauty, fresh air and tranquility; its name is Valencia Waterfalls and what makes it even more appealing is that it isn’t that famous so it is never too crowded unlike almost every other natural watering site.

To get to the falls it is necessary to walk approximately 45 minutes because there isn’t any ways for cars so it’s a very enjoyable road since step by step nature can be appreciated beginning with small accumulations of water all over the path and ending with enormous trees whose green leaves seem to merge with the blue sky in an amazing image every time when looking above, also the brightness is magnificent during the whole walk (almost until 5 PM o’clock) so it is perfect for taking pictures even with the simplest camera of any low range Smartphone. This walk isn’t very tiring at all, all of the opposite because in a way it is restorative for the fresh air breathing and the small hiking that it implies due to little hills and big rocks in the main trail.

And then there they were, the amazing waterfalls, not to big not too small but an accurate size that created a visual orgasm for the visitors whom see them for the very first time because of the combination of elements such as super clear water, huge ancient grey rocks and small fishes inside that can be seen from above.

Also the sound of the water falling is really relaxing with the right volume so it doesn’t interfere in any conversation; it plays eternally as the background soundtrack of a wonderful view and the moderate wind caress every single part of all the visitors’ bodies.

The sensation of peace is indescribable, almost impossible to explain, it is definitely a combination of factors that make everybody feel at peace, like a healing sensation that only ends when leaving the place so for me this whole experience was far before wonderful, it was an enormous blessing and hopefully I’ll be there once again anytime soon to make my soul richer.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About joytrip


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.