Existing Member?

The Journey is Borneo, Miracles in Sothern Indonesia

Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 25 February 2013 | Views [170] | Scholarship Entry

Do you ever come to Indonesia?
Indonesia is island country, It was island country with five big island such Sumatera, Java, Kalimantan (Borneo), Sulawesi and Papua. Actually Indonesia has more thousand island which need to explore. Even I have lived for 30 years in Indonesia and visited some foreign countries. I still blank and no idea about some culture in province in Indonesia.
So my chance was open when I was visited South Kalimantan for youth program, most of people call this" river city" , the province is much flatter with large rivers meandering through lowlands to vast mangrove swamps along the coast, that is why South Kalimantan is an exceptionally fertile land. Many villages and settlements are built along the Barito River, by the indegenous majority, the Banjar. Exquisite traditional and commercial handicrafts are all made from local raw materials which include a variety of precious and semi precious stones, gold, silver, brass, iron and wide variety of woods including bamboo and rattan.
So in the morning I started my journey by rent boat, as long as the river, I enjoyed my first view with the best sunrise in floating market. I bought and bargained some food and fruits from the seller and seeing their smile and hospitality of them.
The boat was goes far bring me to the small restaurant with prepared special food that called " Soto Banjar" Soto Banjar is a specialty here, best served hot and eaten with steamed rice. It is actually chicken soup, Several spices like clove, nutmeg and cinnamon are added. I also eat some "kue", i see many variety of cakes available and very tasty. those with sweet teeth.this food is look like soup with rice, vegetable, chicken, and onion. it tasted spicy. Most of People make queue to get this soto, especially me. It was really nice journey on me get the special food by boot ans see activity of people in the morning near the bank of river like bathing, washing plates, and activities in floating market.
There also small island "Pulua Kembang "& it was really nice island I found y the long-tailed Macaque monkeys and Probosic monkeys. i saw many Great fun activity. of them when got and eaten some banana and peanut by visitor.
The last things to do was shopping, so I go to martapura market to find diamonds, rubies and all that glitters.
So this is the nice journey " damn I love Indonesia"







Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About journeytofindyou


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.