Existing Member?

Jontys Odyssey

A welcoming smile

ITALY | Thursday, 14 May 2015 | Views [201] | Scholarship Entry

I was caught a little off-guard by the elderly ladies welcoming knowing smile: “Ostello?” She enquired. Perhaps she could see the trepidation in my eyes as I scanned the scenery passing by the bus window for a hint that I may have reached my destination.“Ci, Garzie” I replied, exhausting my knowledge of Italian. Another brief nod and genuine smile let me know we had arrived, with a warmth and openness in stark contrast to the Tobbachi owner who had sold me my bus ticket whilst chastising me for not being able to converse in the native language.
Thus far my Italian experience had been a mixed bag. I was managed through passport control by a surly man who communicated only by minute gestures of his eyes. I was then warmly embraced by the green and floral gardens of Pisa airport, before the walk to Pisa Central train station through noisy, litter strewn back streets. My wrestle with three uncooperative ticket machines came as no surprise, before the calm serenity of the train ride.
This latest interaction perfectly encapsulated the palpable change in my emotions as the bus had climbed the snaking roads out of the urban confines of La Spezia to the tangle of brightly coloured homes clinging to the hillside in Biassa.
My trip to Italy was my first solo journey as, despite previously clocking up 27 countries, I had not hitherto explored completely alone. I was searching for a peaceful haven away from the pressures of home, but equally devoid of the throng of tourists. Mine was the clichéd journey of discovery.
That first day I had experienced the full range of human emotions: fear of the unknown, excitement at the prospect of discovery, worry about my ability to be alone and the warm glow you get when setting out on an adventure. Now, as I disembarked and watched a while as the bus continued its sinewy uphill journey, I was overcome by a feeling of calm.
With hindsight it may be possible to attribute the emotion to relief at having reached my destination; safe, well and in good time. But in that moment, it was an altogether more visceral feeling.
The pressure of everyday life lifted from my shoulders to join the wispy clouds dancing among the hilltops: the thronging tourist lined streets lay in the distance below. The welcoming smile of the elderly lady was now mirrored by my own beaming grin as I felt the thrill of not just having reached my geographical destination, but also having arrived at my emotional haven. I wondered what the next day might bring.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About journeymanjonty


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.