Existing Member?

Solo Wanderlust

Three Sisters, One Cliffhanger

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [129] | Scholarship Entry

“You have an hour to make it down and back. Try to stay on the trail.”

For me, this sounds more like a challenge than an order.

If you’re not keen on driving on the left side of the road, you have a number of options when visiting the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney, Australia. For small group tours I chose Sydney Tours-R-Us. And yes, the tours are better than the name.

When you arrive at the Blue Mountains, it’s obligatory to visit the Three Sisters from Echo Point and take in the beauty of nearly every shade of green, blue, and brown imaginable. If you’re fortunate enough to arrive at the right time, you’ll learn first hand why they’re called the Blue Mountains (hint: the rocks aren’t blue).

From Echo Point I’d recommend heading into the rainforest, starting with a tram ride across one of the many canyons. When you make it on the tram, snag a spot over the glass floor. Floating above, you might get lucky and spot some local wildlife exploring the chasms below.

When you arrive on the other side your real adventure can begin. Meander down one of the many elevated timber boardwalks nestled under the living canopy of eucalyptus trees. Take a few deep breaths; taste the freshness of the air. Head towards the bottom of the trail and find a break in the boardwalk. Leave the path, and start exploring.

This region, formerly a bustling coal outpost, is full of abandoned coal mines and artifacts. Climbing over rocks, under low trees, and navigating a narrow dirt trail, you will eventually come across one of several coal mine openings. Not sure where to go? Follow the cool breezes that sweep across the rainforest floor. If you so dare, walk into the mouth of one of these mines; try to imagine being a miner working daily to balance the beauty of the area with the dangers of the job.

Soon enough you’ll get lost in your own thoughts and realize you only have 10 minutes to make it above the canopy. Lucky for you, there is a ride to the top. And not just any ride. A ride on the world’s steepest inclined railway. If you’re someone who lives on the edge (pun intended) snag a seat in the front row and set your chair to “cliffhanger.” The 64 degree climb upwards will guarantee to make you feel like you’re about to roll back down the mountain and into a coal mine.

After a few minute ride, you’ll make it to the top, safe and sound. If you time it all right, you can hop back on the tour bus and settle in for the perfectly horizontal ride back to Sydney.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About joshmitro


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.