Existing Member?

The Big O.E

Greetings all

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 8 December 2009 | Views [490] | Comments [1]

Emirates Stadium on a brilliant night. Arsenal won 2-0 over Standard Liege (Belgium)

Emirates Stadium on a brilliant night. Arsenal won 2-0 over Standard Liege (Belgium)

Hey all, 

Well, it's pretty grey this time of year now. Still a bit tough getting used to the day being dark at 4pm, but that's England for ya.

Not really a lot to report, I suppose. I've been looking for work now that my website is up and running but not with a great deal of success. I've been doing some freelance work for a my film company contacts which is good but not really enough to live on. My tax return from Australia came in pretty handy and the last three weeks have had a bit of work from Two Way but other than that, I'm basically living on the smell of an oily rag and bumming off friends. 

Well, I've finally gotten around to putting up some photos of the trip so far. Feels quite a long time ago since I hit those countries. 

Tuesday 24th November: A couple of weeks back I went to Emirates stadium to watch Arsenal play Royal Standard de Liege in a Champion's trophy football game. The crowd was at the capacity 60,000 people and as you can see in the photo it's quite a beautiful stadium. I'm not really a huge fan of stadiums being named after the sponsor, but that's the reality of professional sports. How else will the athletes afford their thousand dollar pairs of underwear and jewel encrusted watches?

The stadium was really cool and the game was an exciting one as Arsenal dominated. Lots of chanting and cheering and it was a great way to spend a Tuesday evening. I went with Heather, a friend of my mate Damian who knows her from way back. He put us in touch with each other for when her and her friends would have a spare ticket, so that was how it was all set up. About 5 of us went to the game and had a couple of beers before and after the match at their friend's house, not far from the stadium.

Bought a cheap "100% totally unofficial scarf" to commemorate the occasion as it has "Arsenal vs Standard Liege" on it. Will add that to my little box of touristy knick knacks.

Thursday 3rd December: Went to Comedy Karaoke with Anna and her friends and that turned out to be a great night. Funnily enough, it's a night where you pay to watch British comedians such as Kevin Eldon (Hot Fuzz, Big Train, Merlin), Chris Addision (In the Thick of it, In the Loop), Jessica Stevenson (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead) and a bunch of others get up and sing karaoke. Not make jokes or do a routine, but sing. Bizarre, but it actually works. Had a really cool night and was glad that I didn't have to work in the morning. Being unemployed has it's benefits, I suppose.

What else? Hmm, most of my days is spent looking for work. Sorta resigned myself to not starting anything decent until early next year, but that's the way it goes, I suppose.

Will end this here. Hope all is well with y'all. Enjoy the photos.

Jono

Comments

1

ooh to, ooh to be, ooh to be a, Gooner!

glad you enjoyed it champ - see you in fair londinium soon

  damo Jan 18, 2010 11:27 PM

About jono_79

I'm excited about my cake, as you can see.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.