Existing Member?

The Great Overseas Trip

Canterbury & London: 19 July - 20 July

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 21 July 2009 | Views [280]

19 July

This morning we woke up to a fully cooked English breakfast by Ruth's kind dad and stepmum, brilliant!  We then pottered around and about 2pm made our way through the english countryside to Ruth's mum's place...the roads are so just like in the movies with hedges and trees hanging over the roads that are only about 3 metres wide!

For lunch we drove down the road a little further to a pub called the Rose Inn for a traditional roast meal including yorkshire pudding, followed by a mocha chocolate mousse, and by this time none of us could barely walk and had to be rolled out of the pub!

To try and deflat our tummies a little bit, we took a walk around Canterbury, hoping to be able to tour the Canterbury Cathedral...unfortunately there was a special service on and so it was open for public inspection :(  but meant we got to walk around Canterbury and see some amazing buildings, including the Abbey.

20 July

Up bright and early for our train trip to London and do a massive day of sightseeing! Meet up with Meg and we decided to jump onto a bus tour that included a ferry ride down the Thames river.  Was absolutely amazing and if anyone visits London, i would def recomment getting on one of these...the bus went for about 2 hours and the ferry for about similar, but you got to see soooooo much, and with the live commentary was just so worthwhile!  Saw everything there is to see in London, the London Eye, Big Ben, Parliment, basically all the streets through and around London city, and one of the best things was when we were going around a big roundabout near Trafalgar square and the commentator was just saying and to your right you can see the three archways where cars enter on the left, depart from the left and the middle is where the royalty goes in and out of...no sooner had he said that, then two motorcycles with flashing lights came out and stopped all the traffic and a motorcade came out with all the police lights flashing just like you see in the movies, was crazy!  not sure yet who it was, might have to check the papers tomorrow...will have to check my map to see where else we went, and will update later...

Tomorrow we heading back into London and will prob do a tour of the Tower of London before heading back out to the countryside of Kent, then Paris Thursday night.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.