Existing Member?

Where to now?

Year of the Rat

CHINA | Thursday, 7 February 2008 | Views [684]

Year of the Rat

Year of the Rat

Happy New Year! To all those gracious rats and mice out there, this is your year. Although, it's been advised in many articles that I've read that I (being a 'horse'), do not get on with rats. So my dear brother, if you're reading this (if you didn't realise, you were born in the year of the Rat), you and I simply don't get along. I know, it's a load of crap. I think it all comes down to the person and even when we read the description of characteristics of each element, I think we can pick bits from each. It's strange how a lot of people in the world invest so much into their astrological sign (western, eastern or otherwise), opening the daily paper in the morning, see what the future holds for them today. It's amazing how some of us (6+ billion people) are going to experience the exact same events.

Today was somewhat uneventful. As it was cold (around 1-2 degrees celsius), it wasn't a day to venture out, although I would have liked to see the going-ons of the city during their new year's day, the cold weather just got the better of me. I stayed indoors of this cosy hostel watching dvds (Shooter, Waterboy & The Paper Will Be Blue). This took up the entire day, including 2 cooked meals ordered from the bar downstairs and some playtime with the hostel's cross-pug puppy.

Yesterday evening I turned in a tad too early and missed the midnight celebrations of fireworks. I did roam the streets earlier throwing firecrackers around the place. So I still felt like I was involved in the celebrations, even with my measly crackers . Today people from my dorm said that they spent the night out but weren't impressed, as it was just fireworks and lighting of candles. Apparently the big night was heavily policed, so nothing too exciting could really take place. I'm glad I didn't miss out on anything.

Tags: Party time

About jojo2go


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.