Existing Member?

Power of Immensity

Lake Tekapo and Mt John Observatory

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [249] | Scholarship Entry

So I'm off on my own heading to Lake Tekapo for the Mt. John Earth and Sky observatory. It was a 3hr drive from Christchurch to Aoraki, I tried to make it before sunset as the roads were long, windy and had no streetlights. As I drove towards the MacKenzie basin, I was rewarded with panoramic views of the Southern snow capped alps as the sun was setting! The contrast of colours were incredible, various tinges of orange, yellow projected in the sky amongst the large mountainous terrain. I arrived at the YHA hostel which was perfectly located in the heart of town, the common room had an amazing lake side view which almost didn't seem real. The reflection of the mountains on the clear waters looked like something from a postcard.
That night I headed to the observatory office a short 5 minute walk away, the night was crisp and clear and it was a 15 minute drive to the top of the mountain. We hopped off the bus and the night sky literally left me speechless. Stargazing at one of the the top 3 international dark sky reserves in the world was indescribable. I instantly saw the Milky way gushing across the night sky, I don't think I've ever seen so many stars light up the sky. I don't think you can understand, because even I couldn't fathom the universe before my eyes. We set eyes on the brightest stars, 2 neighbouring galaxies, the Southern Cross, the Helix Nebula and watched Orion's belt rise. I really appreciate the world and it's immensity, some people say the universe makes them feel insignificant. Not me, if anything seeing the universe before me, made me realise the enormous potential of life and of all living beings you were there, you owe it to the world to be great.
Driving around Lake Tekapo is stunning, cruising through mountains which opened up to snow capped alps and turquoise water lakes, I actually said "wow" out loud, it was so surreal and I felt like I was in a fairytale where everything was perfect.
I can't comprehend the beauty, Lake Tekapo and Mt John Observatory made me feel happy. The lake gave me an incredible sense of contentment and peace.
I recommend spending a few nights here and taking the trip up Mt. John, many travellers only stop by Lake Tekapo during the day for a few pictures by the Lake which is a complete shame because they are missing out on really soaking in the beauty. Hire a car from Christchurch take in the stunning drive and you will not be disappointed.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About johswanderland


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.