Existing Member?

The World Through a Chinese Boy

Understanding a Culture through Food - "Grazie!"

ITALY | Tuesday, 16 April 2013 | Views [243] | Scholarship Entry

Summer, is a familiar, joyful term for Italians living along the coast of Mediterranean. The sun, heat and the salty ocean breeze always manage to beautifully enlighten the mood of anybody, who happens to pass by.
Nothing compares to wandering around a small, delicate Italian town surrounded by gorgeous chapels and peaceful residences, with the background of a majestic mountain range. The beautiful beaches and the friendly people of Imperia, Liguria have made me extend my stay.
Following a stoney path down the hill, I encountered a lively neighborhood with a street filled with friends, families and lovers dining underneath the sunset. The sweet tone of Italian language and the smell of "fungi", tomato sauce, mozzarella and tortellini broke down my resistance and opened up my appetite.
"Benvenuto!"
The middle age woman wearing a pair of shell-made earrings greeted us with a big sunny smile.
The warm mediterranean air and the near-tropical climate gave Liguria a good condition for growing olives, wine grapes, herbs, garlic, zucchini and artichokes. Also due to its shared border with France and the long coastline mixed passionate personality of the locals, the cuisine in this area naturally has a homey, down to earth flavor with an interesting influence of French cuisine.
Within 10 minutes, antipastos came. A thirty percent done capriccio, dipped in fresh olive oil and south-east italian vinegar and a bruschetta with goat cheese & mashed Fava beans. All very local ingredients and you can tell right away that this is from an Italian housewife in the countryside. Then the main dishes, a spaghettini with Mediterranean shrimp, tomatoes and basil leaves with a spread of bread crumbs on top, and a slow-baked pasta with mascarpone(an italian cheese made from heavy cream) and sausage. The originality and simplicity of these dishes truly drew my heart along with my stomach away.
The italian hostess, constantly running in and out of the kitchen serving families and chitchatting with them. Laughters, joy and the soft, appreciating sound of "Grazie" surrounded the restaurant. At that point, I felt like that this is not simply a restaurant but a kitchen and a dining room for this village.
These people live with heat and passion, always facing the optimistic side of the sun. They build their homes and families with acceptance, kindness and more importantly, a big smile. Life and the cuisine here are simple and pure, but everything about them, are genuine.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About johnnythemainlander


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.