Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

June 28 & 29 - to Eastern Idaho

USA | Monday, 30 June 2008 | Views [365]

June 28 – 113 miles to Blackfoot, ID.  A very long day, with light headwinds most of the way, and strong sun and temperatures around 90 in the afternoon.  A lot of sage brush covered volcanic plain in the morning, and potatoes and wheat in the afternoon.  After dinner, I broke out the guitar and did a few numbers for the group - Italian Ode to Joy, Heaven & Hell, Joy to the World (by 3 Dog Night), Margaritaville – all with customized lyrics to fit our biking situation.  Quite a good reception, and probably there will be more nights of music to come.

 

June 29 – 34 miles to Idaho Falls, ID.  Our easiest day, so we left late and arrived early, and now are resting up for the big push over the Teton Mts. to Jackson Hole, WY. 

 

Ever notice that groups, when bonding, start talking about intimate details of their lives?  Sometimes more than you really want to know?  Certainly happening here.  For bikers, it seems the body part of choice is the butt – that thing that sits on a narrow bike seat for 6 to 9 hours a day, and can get pretty sore.  Feet get some play, and backs, but the butt is the hot topic.  So we find ourselves talking about which creams are best, how to avoid sores, and simply how much it aches.  And I thought I was the only one who had these issues.  My favorite comment, from a wife to husband:  “I’ve been perched on my crotch for 12 days and you want to put what where?”

 

It is not just body parts that gets discussed – also a lot of history sharing and key personal stories told, followed by related stories from other people in the conversation, particularly on the easy days when we have a lot of spare time.  All quite interesting.  We are pretty well past the “where are you from, what do you do, why are you here” phase.  And as expected, everyone, once you get to know them, has a story – well most everyone, as there are still some who either are very boring or simply are not ready to open up.  Anyway, it feels good to be part of the group.  

 

As for names, I can now associate perhaps 35 to 40 of the group with names, which seems about average.  The problem is the older white guys – they all look alike.

Safety sign in Idaho

Safety sign in Idaho

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.