Existing Member?

John's travel journal

Bangalore Decoded: What Makes This City So Special

INDIA | Wednesday, 22 October 2014 | Views [487]

Bangalore is an enigma. It’s the coming together of the very conservative and the very cosmopolitan. That usually produces a conflict of considerable intensity, but not in this city. I’m not exactly sure what to attribute it to, but at the sam

e time I’m glad that there is a harmony to this city despite its diversity and an inherently dynamic nature.

You love your traditions? No problem. You love a good drink and a better laugh with your Palestinian friends in the hottest pub in the town? Again, not a problem. Few Indian cities present this seamless integration of the old, the new, and the modern.

And therein lies the charm of Bangalore for me.

There are many touristy things one can do here, but the best way to experience this city is to soak it in.

Here’s my take on what makes this city stand out and a tourist magnet.

A Cosmopolitan Fabric

As the city has grown, it has attracted the best from not just all over India but also many parts of Asia and indeed the world.

That has given it an overall cosmopolitan look, in no short measure aided by the tolerant and accepting nature of the locals. Bangalore can make anyone feel at home. In the pubs and the streets located in the center of the city, this place is rather reminiscent of London when it comes to multiculturalism.

A Global Outlook

Bangalore is one of the most progressive cities in India. Apart from its cosmopolitanism, it has a forward looking vision to keep it on the right track, and the sprawling IT Culture, which has brought millions of immigrants from all parts of India to this place, is a testimony to that.

The remarkable progress of Bangalore came about due to a vision developed in the 1970s, and the results are for all to see. Bangalore is not known as the Silicon Valley of India for nothing. Along with the iconic Infosys, the city is home to over 50% of India’s IT companies.

Despite ups and downs, the city continues to be abuzz with optimism towards future and clearly sees itself as having a role to play on the global stage in the coming years. In January this year, it became the first Indian city to offer free WiFi hubspots. It’s gaining traction as the startup capital of India and is already among the “top ten preferred entrepreneurial locations in the world.”

Excellent Food and Entertainment

A plethora of pubs, clubs, and music and dance events give Bangalore a vibrant nightlife as well as numerous options for those who appreciate the arts. Many “cafes” and bars have rock music nights, and Bangalore is also on the agenda of many touring artists of international fame.

There’s no dearth of world class restaurants either, though the majority of the restaurants here carry the local flavor (unsurprisingly). That is great if you like South Indian food, which I do. The number of restaurants serving food from other parts of India has been steadily climbing, though whether their quality is up to the mark or not would depend on your personal opinion.

The Weather

Situated at an altitude of 914 m, this city enjoys good weather all year round. That may have something to do with the sheer number of gardens here, earning it the moniker of Garden City.

Typically in India if you want to enjoy good weather you have to take off to the mountains or any of its famous hill stations. Getting such weather all year in a flourishing city is rare. In fact, along with Pune, Bangalore is the only city I can think of that offers both. And even then, Bangalore enjoys better weather than Pune (arguable) over the length of an entire year.

Surrounding Places

Despite moderate weather year-round, Bangalore does get hot in summers (as bad as 36 degrees Celsius, which is still moderate next to other big Indian cities). If the mercury starts to bother you, or if you just want a change of scene, you can take off to many attractive and pleasant destinations around Bangalore.

Coorg, Mysore, Ooty, and Pondicherry are excellent options. At 140km, the royal town of Mysore is the closest to Bangalore. For the lovers of adventure, there are numerous trekking options in the hills and caves near Bangalore.

Conclusion

Bangalore gives the tourists a wholesome experience, and the kind not found anywhere else in India. The fact that it is also a thriving city with global aspirations makes it that much better, though the food, the weather, the catholic culture, and the surrounding spots are more than enough to keep bringing one back to it again and again.  

Tags: travel tips

About johnhunter


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.