Existing Member?

Unexpected moment above the clouds

Pass 3 Inca Trail

PERU | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [259] | Scholarship Entry

As I sat on the bus unable to sleep due to the sheer drops and erratic driving, I felt a mixture of emotions. I love the great outdoors, but I don’t consider myself an experienced hiker. The highest mountain I had ever climbed was Ben Nevis, its peak only a third as high as the highest point on the Inca Trail. I was starting to feel out of my depth.
I was also excited. I had wanted to do the Inca Trail since I was a 17, the striking images of Machu Picchu peeking through the clouds in a glossy magazine article had inspired my sense of wonder and adventure. And now, here I was years later, expectations high.
I started the trek up a steep incline and immediately panicked, I was out of breath already! From then on it got easier, as I walked along the dusty path the sun shone on my face, and I soon relaxed into the beauty of it all. All I could hear was the faint roar of the river from the bottom of the valley, and when we stopped for a break I watched a hummingbird flit between the flowering trees.
Day 2 wasn't so idyllic, Dead Woman’s Pass lived up to its intimidating name. The hike was tough, but I made it to the top in the middle of our group. Not last!
By day 3 energy levels had dropped and I struggled. Despite the wonderful views of Sayacmarca ruins I was starting to miss my bed, proper toilets, and hot running water. After lunch it started to rain.
I passed through the ‘cloud jungle’ the path clinging to the mountainside with formidable drops, how formidable I'm not sure, as I could only see about 10 feet ahead. I arrived at the campsite at Pass 3 wet and tired.
I dragged myself out of my tent after a nap, as I stepped outside I couldn't believe my eyes. Had I been teleported here? The foggy campsite had transformed into the most spectacular vista I had ever seen. In one direction huge snow-capped mountains imposed themselves for miles, whilst in another tree covered rocky peaks jutted into the dusky horizon from a sea of cloud that sat hundreds of feet below us. Soon the sun set, lighting up the sky in hues of red, yellow and orange. It truly was a breath-taking scene.
The 2.45am wake-up call on day 4 wasn't so fun. We arrived at the Sun Gate to see nothing but mist and tourists.
Sometimes the best experiences are the ones you truly don’t expect! Do the Inca Trail in May, the weather is good and the flora and fauna are at their best. If you don’t camp at Pass 3 make sure you spend some time there and wait for the mist to clear, it will be worth it!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About joeynash

Classic photo spot

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.