Existing Member?

Shanghai, the magic city

Wukang Road, where the east meets the west

USA | Thursday, 10 August 2017 | Views [435]

 In the previous post, I showed everyone a few random photo shoots about Shanghai, that may give you a new impression about China. In this post, I want to introduce a niche and cool spot to visit in Xuhui district, Shanghai. The place I want to talk about is not a particular place, rather a road called Wukang Road. This Road was original named ‘Route Ferguson’ by an American missionary, John Ferguson. Just this path alone contains more than 40 historic buildings. Because this place used to be French concession, it became one of the most European style neighborhood. If you ever feel the aesthetic fatigue of sightseeing and spotting Chinese style constructions in Shanghai, Wukang Road allow you to explore western architecture in China. The entire route is a boulevard with buttonwoods growing on each sidewalk. During the sunny day, fondant tree branches stretch out and create a green awning above the tar road. Compare to mainstream sites and crowded areas, Wukang Road is a quiet and peaceful spot for many local hipsters and foreigners. If you want to enjoy a nice afternoon with some friends, this place is perfect to go. You can find many small boutiques to check out and a variety of cafes and restaurants to satisfy your taste bud. If you like old historic architectures, that you can see both Chinese and western style buildings the same time, then Wukang Road will be your dream come true. That was enough of words, let me show you some photos to prove my point. 

 

 

The trees form an awningTree shadeWukang MansionWukang MansionWukang road in winterWukang road during the winter

 

 

 

 

How to get there?

-Take subway line #10 to Shanghai library station or line #11 to University of Communication station. 

-Hail a taxi and tell the driver you want to get to Wukang Road. 

-Check out the map below.

 

What to check out?

-Wukang Mansion, an old apartment building, has been the resident to many celebrities.

-Pistachio(French restaurant)

-Farine Bakery(bread, coffee)

Tags: shanghai

 

About joevsworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.