Existing Member?

Taking A Step Out the Front Door - One Adventure at a Time

Chocolate, Royalty and Fried Waffles

LUXEMBOURG | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [214] | Scholarship Entry

The trip was a solo one to see various Christmas markets in Western Germany and Luxembourg City, Luxembourg with Cochem, Germany used as the base for day trips. Ideally it would be one day in each chosen city. As it turned out Luxembourg City required two day trips because it was such a fabulous city.

I took the train into the city and walked across one of the bridges noticing the Christmas Market at the edge of the edge of the city cliff. This was one of at least two markets that I went to in the city but the only one that I went back to a couple of times. Riding the ferris wheel that was perched at the edge of a cliff gave a feeling of taking flight which made me and my two seat mates (a grandmother and grandson) laugh with nervousness and excitement. Enjoying the firepits on a cold winter's day while drinking hot cocoa and eating a strip of fried waffle coated in sugar kept the chill away.

I explored the city on the first day with a guide. He pointed out A La Soupe where I went to the next day for a fantastic lunch of soup, crusty bread and drink. We walked to the city palace and got to see the newly elected prime minister as he was getting out of his car. I was amazed, not because he waved to us, but because there was little security detail. (I come from an area where security is quite heavy and obvious). When later the car carrying the king drove past there was little detail with him also.

Across from the palace is the Chocolate House which not only has wonderful food but is in the most charming old building. Another place for great food was the Market near the Tourist Office. There I got to try some great Christmas bread and use what I remembered of my high school french.

Leading from the cliffs where the Christmas Market was were paths that lead to the bottom of the cliffs where one could get a better perspective of the city bridges and walk among some beautiful scenery and homes. There is an entire community at the foot of the bridges with gardens and a river that allow wonderful photo opportunities. I spent part of a morning at the Musee National d'Histoire drawing
with an art class and later visited the Historisches Museum der Stadt which had a huge elevator, the size of a small kitchen.

Luxembourg City was an interesting place that I went to not knowing much about the area. I would love to see it in the spring and summer.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jodir


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Luxembourg

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.