Existing Member?

Jodie's Journalism Journal

Enchanting Edinburgh

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 27 April 2014 | Views [151] | Scholarship Entry

Cobblestone streets and windy lanes. Historical castles and hidden passes. Fascinating faces and painted performers. If you’ve ever wanted to find out what time travel is like, go to Edinburgh. I was thrown back in time.

Edinburgh was an enchanting city.

Founded prior to the 7th century AD, I found the musky city of Edinburgh to have an eeriness about it. Possibly because it was so easy to imagine what it was like hundreds of years ago as much of the original architecture remained. I could feel the weight of the city’s history - carrying the horrors of its past. The plague, the wars, and the hardship of those times. As negative as that may sound, I think this is actually the reason for the rich character of Edinburgh. The original materials and structure of this place are so close to just spilling its secret of the past.

Advocate’s Close, Dyer’s Close, Fleshmarket Close… These are a few of the many labelled alleyways of dripping drains and dankly lit stairwells leading between streets. These were the the veins of the city, linking between pumping roads, that led to what overlooked the entire body of the capital. Edinburgh Castle. Its presence couldn't be avoided; it peered over the town and invaded my vision of the horizon at every turn.

Edinburgh is a creative hub, which would nurture any performer’s, artist’s or writer’s career. The gorgeously vibrant flower gardens and rivers contrasted with the historical-laden city. It was a sight that demanded a quiet moment to soak up. Art museum and outdoor presentations are scattered. Every town square, every corner or intersection would have a street performer, a painter, a musician… They were the bohemian embodiment of what Edinburgh cultured.

Exploring the more tightly woven inner-city streets, I ambled past a blue police telephone box resembling the Doctor Who Tardis before a red shop caught my eye. It was spilling over with people, with a vibrant front titled The Elephant House. This was where JK Rowling wrote her infamous Harry Potter books. Suddenly I saw where she got her inspiration for the aesthetic of Potter’s world. The dark, but intriguing streets thrown into the 21st century.

The foggy mornings and mild evenings of ancient Edinburgh City was inspiring. Not a fast-paced city, but a contrasting town of old and new. Of gothic buildings against vibrant people. Edinburgh was intriguing and provoked the spirit of creativity.

I'll never forget that day I spent walking through history.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jodiethejournalist


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.